Ford or Chevy

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jbell36, Apr 18, 2010.

?

Which would you prefer?

1. 6.6L LBZ Duramax (2006 - 2007.5)

45 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. 6.4L Powerstroke (2008)

40 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

i already know what you are thinking but this isn't the typical "which truck is better" question...i'm lookng for a diesel and my two options are ford and chevy, i already own a dodge and will never buy another chrysler product again in my life even if it has a cummins in it...

- '06-'07.5 chevy with the lbz duramax 4x4 crew cab

- '08 ford powerstroke 4x4 crew cab

i've only heard great things about the 6.6L lbz duramax and have heard a few bad things the 6.4L powerstroke but nothing terrible...this is going to be used more for personal use than work so i like the fact that the chevy is slightly smaller, or at least it appears so...i will be putting a plow on the front for snow as well

i like the looks of both, not really sure which one i think looks better...let me know what you guys think

2. StrokerTurbo7.3

StrokerTurbo7.3 LawnSite Member

I'd go with the Ford but that's because I'm a Ford guy at heart. I don't know anything about the Duramax but I have heard quite a bit about the 6.4 Power Stroke but that's only because I look at the forums directly related to Power Stroke's. With a few modifications they can make ridiculous amounts of power but I know everyone doesn't do that stuff like myself. Better mileage can also be obtained by doing the same mods though.

3. jbell36

from KANSAS

oh i would definitely chip it for sure

4. fatguy28

fatguy28 LawnSite Member

they are both great trucks but the Chevy i believe gets better mileage than the ford:usflag:

5. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

I am a Huge ford guy too! the 6.4 get about 10 mpg but I have heard of guys modifying them and getting up to 40 mpg. I think the ford looks alot better. I have a 6.0 and I really love it.

6. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

A friend had a 6.4l powerstroke, he didn,t keep it long. It got 11mpg unloaded! The ems I work for has changed from ford to chevrolet with no complaints from any of the 50 plus employees. Our maintanence director said engine problems have gone away, but now we have a few more electrical problems. It seems chevrolet uses cheaper electrical connections. Ofcourse fixing an electrical connector takes an hour or two compared to the weeks a truck used to be down to have the engine rebuilt. Duramax all the way.

7. jbell36

from KANSAS

we own 3 fords and they have all been great trucks, my dad is director of buildings and grounds for our county and he says they only deal with ford, so i guess you could say i'm a ford guy too but i've been leaning more towards chevy on this one but he's put the thought back in my head about ford so now i'm at a cross roads...i might agree that the ford looks slightly better than the chevy but it's also a lot bigger and i'm not sure i want that

8. StrokerTurbo7.3

StrokerTurbo7.3 LawnSite Member

With the DPF in place all the new trucks are just terrible in mpg. If you get rid of that/get a full exhaust, a tuner, and intake your mpg will be around 20ish depending on how you drive. Along with around 500hp to the wheels. Obviously you won't have a warranty anymore. Gotta pay to play!

40 mpg is a bit far fetched for an 8,000lb truck...

9. Cboy7

Cboy7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Fl

I am a chevy guy, but for diesel I think I would go Ford.

when I seen the title I thought we went over that in 3rd grade.. ha.. guessed I matured a bit since then. I still think dodge is junk though, even with cummins.cheaply built. not being mean , just how it is.

10. jbell36

from KANSAS

completely agree, dodge is bullsh1t...i'm actually surprised though on the votes for the powerstroke over the duramax...maybe i should consider ford a little more than i am