1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ford or Dodge?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nitrod, Aug 11, 2007.

1. nitrod

nitrod LawnSite Member

Ok, I am thinking of buying a new diesl, I can get employee discount on the Ford and Dodge, I am leaning twoard the Dodge.
  2. phlandscaping

phlandscaping LawnSite Member

FORD!!! Just got a 99 F250 Diesel and love it! My friend has a dodge and said when he get's the money to buy a new truck he's going with ford!
  3. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

If you want to buy a new truck I would try to find a dealer that has a 06 Dodge diesel, that way you will be emissions free. If you can't find any 06's I would buy the 07 cummins for sure.
  4. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking LawnSite Member

I agree with Bobcat, try to find either a Dodge or Ford tht is pre new emissions. I have a 2002 F350 with the old reliable 7.3. Love this truck. The cummins is a great engine, but I like the Ford truck better. I realize you are looking at a new truck, but all of the new diesels are first year engines with all kinds of emissions stuff on them.

im shoping also . and get the discount on both but , i currently have gm's
    and love them but my next will be a ford , the $$$ between the 2 ford/dodge are about 3,000 diffrence the ford is higher and gm is another 3,000 more than ford from what ive been shoping aroud here ,
  6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Don't get a new Ford. My grandpa & a friend have both lost their Turbos & 1 injector each. Neither of them has over 15K on the odometer. My '05 Dodge is trouble free so far (knock on wood).
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Is it really worth buying new trucks now they are so way over priced and with the emmission crap they are a problematic. It doesn't matter if you have a Ford Dodge or Chev the emmisions crap is causing problems.

Dodge has been thumbing their nose at the emission regs and now they can't the Cummins 6.7 is having the same problems as Ford and Chev. The 6.4 Ford seems to be okay so far except for its being said the MPG isn't that good. The 6.7 Dodge is having problems so if you want a Dodge get a 5.9.

At todays truck prices its almost cheaper to keep fixing a older truck. Find a truck with lower mileage and in good shape and keep running it till it dies.
  8. tbambersvc

tbambersvc LawnSite Member

If you can find an early '07 Dodge diesel with the 5.9, go for it. Friend of mine had priced an '07 Dodge 2500 quad cab long bed with the diesel and auto tranny for $32k out the door. Not too bad of a price considering the Fords are on the lot for $45k plus. I would be driving a Ford F350 if they weren't so expensive.
  9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

the ford may be a bit more expensive, but its worth it for the quality. trust me there. the 6.4 is turning out to be a great engine. im hearing lots of mixed reviews on the 6.7 cummins. some love it some hate it. even with the new duramax, the majority of the people like them, just not a fan of the price and new body style. but their all expensive now. i will be getting another ford in december for quality reasons, my dodge is acting like its 10 years old, and its only 2 years old. but the engine is fantastic! But its not worht having since its in a dodge. weve all heard it, you get what you pay for. Im going to shell out the extra money for the ford!!
  10. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

Originally Ford had a lot of problems with the new emissions equipment. They were blowing flames out of the exhaust during regeneration and caused a few major brush fires. Ford did recall them so hopefully they resolved the issue. I haven't really been a fan of the "6 point uh oh" but maybe they got the kinks worked out in the 6.4. As far as everything else goes, Ford seems to have their act together.

The Dodge interior is by no means my favorite. I actually hate it. I have spent way to much time sitting in the back seat of one. They now have the new Aisin (sp?) auto trans and from what I've heard its pretty good. And you can't beat the Cummins engine.

By far my favorite is GM. Everybody I have talked to has had very good luck with their new Duramax trucks and said that the emissions equipment is flawless. Most don't even know that their truck is going into regen. My family has owned GM vehicles for as long as I can remember, and we have never had any major problems.