1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ford Power Stroke being replaced with a 6.0?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Arnold, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I heard they were replacing the PS in the smaller trucks next year with a 6.0 anyone heard about this?
  2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw an option last night on their web site in the options on specing a new truck.
  3. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Ford has replaced the 7.3 for a new 6.0 Powerstroke. As of early September you can no longer order the older 7.3. They are still available on some lots and will be for a little while but the new 6.0 sounds like it might be a pretty good replacement.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The PSD was replaced due to emmisions,it would never ever be able to meet the new 04 requirements.The good news is the 6.0 that replaces it is not only much cleaner,but has a LOT more power /torque than the 7.3. Pickuptruck.com has a tow test on a new 6.0/5spd auto,it flast out smoked the Cummins and duramax in every test by a wide margin.If this truck was a production truck,and they all run this way Ford guys will be :D with the new engine.
  5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

The vans will still have the 7.3 through the end of 2003. The new automatic transmission that is mated to the 6.0 is a 5 speed. I have a 2001 F-250 Crew Cab PSD, so it will be a while before Momma lets me consider the 6.0. :eek:
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I love it, Ford gets socked with some emissions regulations. So they design a smaller engine, (less weight!!!) which just by means of less cu. in. will put out less emissions, but they make it more powerful in both H.P. and torque ratings in the process.

Now why cant Echo get this thing down. This new SRM-260S string trimmer which is replacing the SRM-2601 has these new low emissions carbs on them and they SUCK. Same thing with the new PB-650 blower that's replacing the 603 blower, I've heard nothing but complaints about them. Sure they put more air out the end of the tube, but try starting them and then try waiting around for them to "warm up" even though the outside ambient air is 95 degrees.

WHATS UP ECHO ???????????
  7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I heard a rumble about a V 6 PS 4.3 or 4.0L coming out some time for use in the Expedition, and F150. That would be sweet.

No way I would buy a 6.0 and new trans until they been out a year or so.
  8. GreginAlaska

GreginAlaska Banned

ISn't diesel supposed to be "reformulated" in 2005 or sometime? I wonder if the current Powerstrokes will be OK with it?
  9. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

The V6 "baby PSD" has been cancelled or postponed. This was a large part of the charge off to earnings that International had to take when it reported its quarterly earnings.
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If the baby PSd has been canned that is a shame. It had real potential.Its just a matter of tim before someone steps up and see's the potentila for a deisel i nthe 6000-8500GVWR trucks.With new technology the rattling,smoking is a thing of the past due to Common rail injection.Power can be equal to top gas options with torque being much higher.Fuel economy can easily be 35% better.