Ford Powerstroke or Dodge Cummins?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by WalkerMan9669, Mar 23, 2005.

1. WalkerMan9669

WalkerMan9669 LawnSite Member

Im thinking about buying a truck, and am seriously thinking about getting a 1992 Ford F-250 Diesel with 260,000 miles on it for $2500. The truck is in excellent condition to be this old. But is that still a good price? And would u go with this? or check into a dodge cummins

2. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

You gotta love anything with the name Power Stroke!!

:cool2: :cool2:

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I own 3 powerstrokes and 1 non powerstroke (89 f-250) Love them all. Very minimul troubles out of any of them it at all. For landscape maintenance I think the ford is the ideal truck. Don't get me wrong the dodge is a great truck...I beleive it gets better fuel milage than the powerstroke. The cummins gets around 17-18mph and the powerstroke will get around 12-16mpg. This is with my experience. Check out www.thedieselstop.com if you have any questions.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

a 92' is not a powerstroke it's a 7.3 Navistar. the Powerstroke didn't come out till like late 93' or maybe 94'. These are still great motors without the turbo, we had one back in 96' it was just as torquey as a stroker.

5. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Why RAM it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you can get it STROKED!!!!!!!!!!! :D

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I love our F-350 PSD's.

7. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Power Stroke was introduced in November of '94. This was when there was a choice of 3 diesels in the F-series. You could still get the 7.3L IDI, 7.3L IDIT, and the then newly developed 7.3L Power Stroke. Throw a Banks Sidewinder turbo system on a IDI 7.3L and it will make similar power to a stock PSD.

As for the question at hand, I would request to see the maintenance records. Also I would check the SCA level immediately. This will tell you all you need to know. If there is a low level of SCA in the coolant, run for the hills-cavitation is eminent!! Also, if possible, ask to have the oil tested, take a sample after driving it for 30 minutes, draw a sample, and send it to Blackstone Labs, the oil analysis will also tell you what kind of shape the engine is in.

8. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I'd rather be stroked than rammed.....

9. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

Thats correct, its not a PSD, but it is a good engine.
    For a good cheap truck it sounds good, but you need to find
    out what kind of shape the engine is in. If the coolant hasnt
    been treated, the cylinder walls(I think thats right) can corrode
    and you will have to have the cylinders sleeved. Not real cheap
    unless you plan on keeping the truck for many years.

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That is called cavitation, it is caused by the sidewalls getting brittle from the heat and flaking away. The SCA additive solves this by helping to distribute the heat better, by moving the heat elsewhere in the engine.

Again, check the SCA level in the coolant, and have an oil analysis run on it.