Ford Powerstroke or Dodge Cummins?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by WalkerMan9669, Mar 23, 2005.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I just picked up a 05 cummins last night! Only driven it the 5 miles home from the dealer! Didn't take it out today because i didn't want it to get all dirty in the snow. lol If the weather breaks tommoror, i'll put some miles on it to break it in, before i go pickup my enclosed trailer!

Matt

2. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

id rather be cummin then strokin

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I second that

4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd rather be on the road than waiting for a new transmission.... :rolleyes:

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

6. malojeer

malojeer LawnSite Member

I have 01 dodge 2500 with cummins HO. I get 22 MPG on hwy and not much less in city. A buddy has 93 dodge and gets better than mine with over 300,000 miles.

7. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

I had a 01 2500, the Cummins is a great motor, the only problem is the crapy Dodge thats wraped around it! :dizzy: I wish Ford would stop selling Cummins engines to Dodge and put them in the F series! :cool:

8. anteater6788

anteater6788 LawnSite Member

Ford is not selling Cummins engines to anybody. For a while Ford owned a small percentage of Cummin's stock but they sold it all several years ago so they have nothing at all to do with Cummins anymore. I know a guy who works at Cummin's who said that they approached both Ford and Chevy to put the 5.9L in their trucks back in the mid 80's but they both refused so they went to Dodge who also turned them down but finally agreed to try it if Cummin's would do all the R&D work on it. I am a Ford guy and our farm is powered by mostly International diesel engines but I recently bought a '99 2500 with the Cummin's, I felt that the engine was enough better than a Powerstroke to make up for the rest of the truck being slightly lower quality than the Ford. Almost every farm equipment company has tried putting a V-8 diesel in a tractor at some point and none of them turned out very good compared to their I-6 counterparts with the exception of maybe a few Cats. The V-8s seem to do okay in trucks where they are not under heavy loads all the time but I'll stick with an I-6.

9. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, those Fords are now having trouble with their tranny's. Glad you've seen the light Smalltimer.

All that negative reading on the Dieselstop finally help convince you eh. :p

10. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

Headed into 2004, the F-Series had been America's top-selling automobile for 22 consecutive years--and there's no reason to believe it won't finish on top again this year. In the first six months of 2004, the F-Series outsold the second best-selling vehicle, General Motors' (NYSE:GM - News) Chevrolet Silverado pickup, by more than 100,000 models.