Ford Powerstroke warmup issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lawnchoice, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all,

I have a 97 F350 with the 7.3 TD Powerstroke.

When I take off in the morning ( after a 10 min warmup ) I get a hissing sounds when I let off the throttle. It goes away after 40 minutes of driving.

Think it's the injectors?

Think it's the wastegate for the turbo?

It has only 80k on it and has been well taken care of all of it's life.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

What you are decribing is a sound that every turbo charged diesel I have ever owned makes, weater it be Caterpillar, Cummins, or Cornpicker.
  3. Lawnchoice

It's not the normal sound !

It's boggs the engine down quite a bit before you hit the throttle. I think the cold plays a factor.
  4. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

I had a 97 one ton and did the same thing it is the waste gate. You can take a screw driver and force it open. They put it on there so people wouldn't take off while the engine is still cold. It was a bear to change if I remember right as it is between the turbo and the firewall of the truck.
  5. Lawnchoice

Thank for the info.
  6. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

No problem. I hope it helped.
  7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Its not the waste gate. These trucks don't have waste gates. Its the exhaust back pressure valve. It is there to help the engine warm up faster by closing at idle. The problem is they can stick shut when they get old. It operates off of a solenoid and oil pressure from the turbo. The easiest thing to do is to unplug the solenoid. There are two wires coming out the back that wrap around the right side of the turbo to a weather pack connector. The other option is to unbolt the downpipe and gut the EBPV. Check out this post and this page
  8. Lawnchoice

Thanks for doing some research for me. I haven't had time to quite yet.

I am going to unplug the wires and tape them off in the morning. Will let you know how it works.

Thanks again,
  9. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

I couldn't remember what they called it, after all I haven't even thought about it in 4 or more years. I wish lwcmattlifter had been around when I had mine I would have definitly tried what they did on that link for the extra flow and horsepower. Oh well live and learn.
  10. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

2nd the exhaust backpsi valve