ford powerstroke ????

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by draftlawncare, Dec 19, 2004.

1. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

i bought a 2001 f250 powerstroke last summer first diesel i have owned its a hell of a work truck pulls like a mo` fo`. the truck ran fine all summer but now that it has gotten cold the truck smokes when i start it in the mornings and when i hit the gas pedal the motor does not want to rev till the motor starts to warm up a little is this normal???????????????????

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

The powerstroke is a tad cold blooded. Just like its naturally aspirated predicessor. Ours is an 02, and it never gets below 40° here, and, does the same thing. A little smoke, slow to start until warm. They are alot more cold blooded than the Duramax, which, is running by the time it turns over 2 times with less pre heat time. The 444 cubic inch stroke has alot more pulling power than the 366 cubic inch, at least pulling the grades with the loads we do.

3. mowerman111

mowerman111 LawnSite Senior Member

you should check out this site if you havent already it is called Free Auto Advice they have a forum called Powerstroke Only those guys are very helpful

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

both of mine will bellow out some smoke on colder mornings, but if they are plugged in and warm, they smoke less.

5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

draftlawncare--- do you plug the truck in at night... the powerstrokes come standard with and engine block heater that you plug in at night to keep the engine warm so that i will start smoothly in the mornings. When cold diesel fuel will "gel" and become thicker than normal and wont "work right" this is why the truck doesnt rev right and so on and smokes is b/c its not getting enough fuel..... by continually cold starting the truck day after day on cold mornings you can/will eventually do damage to the engine, and NEVER try and rev the engine after starting it let it warm up first. i plug mine in at night and i still let it sit and idle for bout 7-10 minutes after starting it in the mornings.

Now to find out if you have an engine block heater (which u do u just need to fine out where some jerk off hid the cord at) stand outside the truck and look into the driverside wheel well...... you can see the side of the engine block here you should be able to see a "pipe looking thing" similat to a large spark plug sticking out of the side of the engine block.... this is the heater..... it will have a cord on the end of it,.......open the hood and track the cord towards the front of the truck. the cord should come out somewhere in the front bumper ( mine comes ouf right above the towning hook on the drivers side.) it will be a standard 3 prong electrical cord to plug into an extension cord and then into a electric outlet. sometimes you can just open the hood and look around inside for it and find it cause some people wrap the cord around some of the tubbing and such in the engine bay when they are not using them.

Hope this helps ya out and solves your problem .. i know it will.. if ya need more help or pics of where/what i am talking about let me know i dont mind taking some for ya.

6. draftlawncare

draftlawncare LawnSite Member

thanks i plant art i didnt know what the hell was causing that but i was hoping it was the cold weather....... btw do you know if a rear main seal is covered on the 100,000 mile warranty just noticed mine is leaking

7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd highly recommend plugging in the Powerstroke on colder mornings also. You might want to get a glow plug relay and keep in the glove box also, as the powerstroke is somewhat notorious for the relays going bad. They tend to have glow plug problems also, but not as often as the relay.

I plant, I'd be careful about letting your diesel idle when cold. Cold idleing is very determential to diesels - and they won't really warm up like gas engines. When cold, diesels tend to get "fuel wash". The fuel doesn't burn completely - as diesels need heat for combustion. The left over fuel washes down the cylinder walls and dilutes the oil. It's best to start the diesel, and then drive carefully for 5 - 10 minutes until it starts warming up. Or get a fast idle kit.

8. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

it's a diesel thats what they do when it's cold. Plug it in or flip the key on a few times to warm up the glow plugs. But watch that will kill your battery. Plug it in

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Use your block heater and glow plug it, when it starts let it idle for a bit. As it's warming up you should check your lights and trailer connections. They have additives to combat the gel problem.

10. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

ive had 3 powerstrokes they all did that the 01 nad 02 i had would change idle speed automaticaly during warm up and up north all the fuel should be mixed for winter already but power select does help with gelling and it does lube injection pumps and clean injectors pluging in is if posible below 30 is helpfull and i ran 15/40 deere oil all year in them as i do in the tractors they were very good motors i never had a single problem with one my last truck was a dodge with a cummins ho with a 6 speed and also no problems in 200,000 miles very impresive they use heater grids to heat the air works well