Ford Ranger Setup Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowHouston, Jul 6, 2008.

1. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, been looking to getting Ford Rangers set up with either a tailgate ramp like Howard Roark (sp) has or the full bed conversion like Justmowing and Lawn Jockey uses. If you havent seen these, let me know and I'll post them up here.

Anyhow, I see these guys using 3 man crews with 3 21" prolines for the mowers.

I had been planning on keeping it a 2 man crew and use 32" or 36" BOP Quicks.

Does anyone have any input on this? Average yard is about 8,000 sq ft.

I will probably go with the Quicks still and later on down the road give the 3man/3 21"s deal a test, but I'd like a little input from some of you guys.

Also, do you think I could do it in a 4cyl or would a 6cyl be a better choice? I was thinking i would get better fuel mileage in the 4cyl but maybe with the weight I would actually do better with the 6.

Thanks!

2. phlandscaping

phlandscaping LawnSite Member

could you post pics, I don't believe I've seen them!

3. MowHouston

Sure thing.

First, Howard Roarks low cost setup with a Quick 36 and a 21" push in a Ford Ranger. I believe he was/is using a 2 man crew with this setup. Tailgate ramp is around $800 and the racks I think are around $200.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the second setup as posted by Lawn Jockey, using 3 prolines (if I remember correctly) on a three man crew. Bed setup = ~$2000:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As a side note, the drop gate on this setup has been modified to meet the ground now.

4. MowHouston

Looks like someone (justmowing / justmowit) are liking this setup. This pic is from 2005.

[​IMG]

5. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

If the 3.0 12v V6 is still available get it, that has to be the best v6 ever built. You can't destroy the things. My buddy has one in his aerostar with 390,000 on it, still ran when he junked it. That thing ran w/o coolant many times for umteen thousand miles. :dizzy:

6. Self_Paid1

Self_Paid1 LawnSite Member

Is that Just Mowit company still in Business

7. MowHouston

Justmowit.com, they are very in business.

8. kayakn

kayakn LawnSite Member

that looks like a good company. very simple and no hassle with trailers.

9. MitchDaniel

MitchDaniel LawnSite Member

The 2.3L has plenty of power. I pull my 6' X 10' trailer with my 60" Exmark (totalling 1600 pounds), and have no problems, and I live in the mountains.:weightlifter: The 2.3L has 143 hp and the 3.0 only has 155 hp. In addition, I average 31 MPG with my 2.3 with no load. My brother-in-law barely got 20 mpg with his 3.0. I'd rather sacrifice 12 hp and get 10 extra mpgs!

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

You call those mountains? Psssshhhht.

Just teasing. :laugh: Sorta.