ford ranger

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by fastcat, Jan 17, 2011.

1. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

i have a chevy 2500 hd duramax right know that i pull my 5x10 trailer loaded with a lazer and hand helds. i get about 13-14 miles per gallon pulling the trailer. i am thinking about getting a mid 90's ford ranger 2.3 4 cylinder 5 speed manual this year to pull the trailer wih and still keeping the chevy. how many mpg's are you guys getting with and with out a trailer on your rangers.

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I had a 99 Ranger at one point, 2.3l, 5 speed. Reg cab long bed. It got around 20 to 25 mpg, mix of highway and in town. That was without a trailer though, I would almost be hesitant to pull a trailer with it. Truck didn't have a whole lot of extra power LOL.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I have an 08 and its rated at 23 empty. Pulling a trailer it probably will not get much better then what your getting now , and die a lot quicker.

4. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

I think you would need a 6 cylinder at a minimum. I pulled my 6.5 x 12 for a while with a 4x4 ranger. It was a v6 manual shift. The brakes are a weak spot. The trailer kinda looked like a big fish ready to swallow a little fish lol...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I have a 99' 2.4 liter Nissan auto, and get about 26mpg hwy without trailer and 22mpg hwy with trailer. I pull a 5x12 with ZTR, 21", two trimmers and blower. I've put a cold air intake, throttle body spacer, header, flowmaster exhaust, and transmission cooler. I also upgraded the brakes. Pulls great. I got about 24 without trailer and 19 with trailer before the upgrades. Not really apples to apples though, because I think a stock Ranger is rated at 120hp and the Nissan about 143 stock.

6. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

If gas gets too high I'll probably get a small truck for weekly maint./ estimates, and just pitchfork it into my dump at end of day and use dump for 1X cleanups.
    very interested to know what you come up with.

7. elitefox

elitefox LawnSite Member

A 4cyl RANGER?????? Wow, forget the trailer just throw ur bent shaft and push mowers in the truck bed.. Who needs a professional image these days anyway???:dizzy:

8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Rear differential is gonna let you know.

9. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW, guess my 4 rangers with mow decks, Logos, don't meet someones "professional" image? :rolleyes:

10. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

I wouldn't use a 4 cylinder. I think the 6 cylinder 4.0 liter was as small as I would go. And the one I used briefly was a 4x4 STX, and I believe the suspension was probably a little beefier then a 2 wheel drive.