ford ranger

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by fastcat, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

exactly what I was thinking show us a pic. of your rigs. I was thinking company colors and lettering would still look sharp.

2. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

Just looked it up, a Ford Ranger towing capacity for a 4cyl 5 speed is around 1,500 lbs, that's pretty low. A Nissan Frontier 4 cyl 5 speed is rated at 3,500 lbs. I didn't know it was that much of a difference. If you go the 4 cyl route I'd look at Toyotas or Nissans. They are much higher in price though than the Rangers and S10's.

3. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

If all your clients live down hill go for it. Up here where I live there are hills everywhere and sharp turns so you need something that has torque and good braking.

4. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2000 ext. cab ranger 3.0L. I pulled my 5x10 loaded all last summer. I took it to the local weigh station and my trailer loaded weighed 2,350 pounds. It doesnt have a problem pulling it. I just upgraded to a 6.5 x 14 all aluminum that weighs 1,440 lbs. 3,400 lbs fulling loaded with all of my equipment. Now thats a different story lol The ranger is up for sale if anyones interested!!!

5. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

There's a reason why manufacturers put out weight ratings. Yes the truck feels like it can pull more just fine but you are shortenning the life of just about every component of the drivetrain and rear suspension.

6. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

I understand i will be shortening the life of my truck that is why im searching for an F-150 before spring time

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

There is a company here in town that has a fleet of 2wd Tacomas pulling 6x12 open trailers everyday. These are route trucks but they also have some f550s dumps for clean ups and landscape installs. They seem to do well with the little Toyotas.

8. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

That's about what I do. I use the 4cyl Nissan for everyday mowing, then use my Chevy 1-ton dually for big towing jobs, like mulch or lots of debris. Works out great for me. I couldn't imagine using the dually every day though, cause it gets 10mpg on a good day.

9. Dnryan

Dnryan LawnSite Member

i have an 07' v6 4.0l ranger pulling a 6x12 enclosed trailer and it pulls fine up some pretty steep hills but for me there is no way i would ever go with a smaller engine than the 4.0l. Oh, and right now with a little bigger tires 245 70r16 i get only 10-12mpg with trailer on or off highway. The enclosed trailer just acts like a freakin sail catching all the wind. No problems with getting up to speed but man it kills the mpg. If i could afford a bigger truck it would be the first thing i would do.

10. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

I pulled a 6x8 trailer with a 90 2.3l 5 speed. for two entire summers with a walkbehind, all my handhelds a push and gas. During the winter I put 4 foot walls on it and pack it to the brim with leaves from the loader. The truck did great best engine I have ever owned. I have owned 2 trucks with the exact same set up and I love it. Wish I would have kept it when I bought my f-150 the mileage was amazing I was getting 22 easy with it 19 with a trailer. I also had a 99 with the 3.0 that truck/engine combo was the biggest POS I have ever owned. T-bar suspension, 7.7in diff with 3.75 gear ratio, no thanks. I'll take a 2.3 5 speed anyday. The original 2.3 that was in the early 80's early 90's was a beefed up rally engine, converted to a consumer engine but still get the block and heavy internals. Bad Ass little truck I can't say enough about it.