Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by youngdude, Jan 4, 2004.

1. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

Need to know it a '99 Ford Ranger can haul a 6.5 by 12 foot trailer loaded down with two 36 inch walk behinds and two push mowers. I live in Ohio and you can sometimes come across a hill, should i get the electric brakes? Thanks

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you have V6 engine, there is no problem for the Ranger to pull two 36" on a 6 1/2' by 12'.
    If you have 4 cylinders, then, little bit sweat , but it still can pull your trailer as long as "total weight trailer and equipment" is within 3000 lbs. I would not pull a 6 1/2 by 12' with 4 cyl. If you add a Z on it, you need F 150 or 250.

3. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

go for the 4.0. it has a 5 spd auto and larger brakes. the 3.0's i think are dogs. look at gear ratios. at least a 3.55. i have a similar set up that i haul w a 4.0 ranger w 3.55 rear end. hauls great. I have hauled cars on a tandem before with it. it'll do it, just have to be patient and know that things may wear quicker than a larger truck. Gas mileage is nicer though. usually get 14 with trailer and 18 w/o on highway.

4. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

Yes get electric brakes. Your ranger should pull the trailer without breaking a sweat if you have the V-6. But by all means get the brakes.

5. Lawn Services Plus

Lawn Services Plus LawnSite Member

I would go with a larger truck-Ihad a Mazda pulling a 5X10
    with a 36" scag walk behind and a push mower-trans gave up after one season-sold it as is and bought an old(1976) f-150
    with a 300-6. this thing is a workhorse.rather feed it gas than
    have one in the trans shop! by the way the mazda was a stick the f-150 is an auto.I also have a 78 f-250 the gas mileage is about the same on the V-8 (351) and the six (lousy) but they work hard with few problems.expect 10-12mpg on the old ones.

6. scottishmaximus

from ohio

I have heard many bad things about the stick shifts in rangers. The A4ld tranny also does not have a good reputation. I have not heard anything bad yet about the 5 speed automatic that I think comes with most newer 4.0 liters. Make sure you tow in drive though.

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I pull 6-12 with a 48,36 21 and, push blower with my 99 ranger 4-4. So go for it.

8. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

its the smallest 4 you can get. think i can get away with hauling a 6.5 by 10 with one 36 and one 48 with a push mower???

9. scottishmaximus

from ohio

if it's a stick you can wind them up a little more. Towing is not too fun with a stick though, especially with the hills in ohio. If you already have it you can try it and if it doesn't work, milk it until you can get a bigger truck. I would recommend looking at a 3/4 ton so that you won't have to upgrade again so soon.

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not sure of what terrain you have, but here in CA we ahev hills and grades everywhere.

I will not run anything less than an 8600 LB GVW truck, as the brakes and suspensions lend themselves well for the application. Engine wise, size does matter. We took the 350 out of the last gas burner we run, and installed a 375HP 454 crate motor. Gas milage is 12, loaded or empty, and the 350 got 13. 4:10 axles, and E rated tires. All trailers have brakes, and we have removed and discarded the anti lock system so it can't throw the truck into a jack knife while pulling a load.

Other trucks are running the 366 cubic inch Dura Max/Allison in a GMC 5500, and a naturally aspirated 460 cubic inch Navastar diesel in a Superduty.

You will be able to do hills with a 4 banger, but, they are going to lug down and you will get frustrated...I would be far more concerned over braking capacity.