Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by youngdude, Jan 19, 2004.

1. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

I have been mowing lawns since about 11 years old and now just turned 16. I have a '99 Ford Ranger with the smallest 4 you can put in that thing with a 5 speed manual. Its great on gas though. The question that I have is that it says the gvwr is just about 5000 ibs. Now does that mean i can haul 5000 pounds or is that the total vehical towing. Can anyone tell me how much ibs i should be hauling?

2. DAZED AND CONFUSED

DAZED AND CONFUSED LawnSite Member

first let me say im not very mechanicly inclined but my sugestion to you is simple "call your local ford dealership and ask"

3. legendrider

legendrider LawnSite Member

If im not mistaken thats the total amount truck and tailer together you should pull. but yes ask the dealer or your owners manual it will be listed in there under towing capacity. i would bet you can pull a small trailer with a mower and some tools with no problem. just dont load the bed too much

4. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

until your hitch meets concrete, dont worry

5. Roger C

Roger C LawnSite Member

The gvwr is the over all wgt of the truck. you need to find out your empty wgt to know what you can haul legal.

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Do you still have the owner's manual? The tow rating should be in there someplace. I would be greatly surprised if you are rated to tow over 2500lbs, most likely less. What do you have for a hitch setup? You may want to consider getting a frame mounted receiver hitch, because some of the bumpers trucks sometimes come with are nothing more than sheet metal it seems. Or at least get a heavy duty after market bumper. I would think that you should have no problem towing a single axle trailer, maybe like a 6x10.

7. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

I have a 1999 G.M.C. Sonoma with a 4 cylinder that I pull a Case pipe puller on a 6 x 10 trailer with ease. Also tow a 1500lb. air compressor in the fall with no problems. Never use O.D., put in 3rd gear and drive normally and always am looking out for the other guy! Love the gas mileage and looks great also.

8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hey, I used to do that, (no longer now) pulling with Ranger almost 2 pallets of St.Augustine on 6 by 10 single axle trailer...ditto 3 rd gear all the way. It worked fine but it sweated, it squatted! the F 250 is more suitable by far to haul sod for partial lawn repair.

9. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

My brother has an 02' 4.3L S-10, and I wouldn't pull more then 2,500-3,000lbs in that thing. I would stay under 2,500lbs especially with that 4cyl.

Brian

10. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member