1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ford recalls 1.2M vehicles for engine stalls

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jimmyburg, Dec 6, 2007.

1. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

08:30 AM CST on Thursday, December 6, 2007

Bloomberg News

Ford Motor Co., the second-largest U.S. automaker, is recalling 1.2 million large trucks to fix a faulty engine sensor that can cause sudden stalling and lead to a crash.

The recall affects 1997 to 2003 model-year F-Super Duty pickups, Excursion sport-utility vehicles and E-Series vans, all with 7.3-liter diesel engines, Ford said in a letter posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Web site.

The camshaft-sensor circuit can degrade over time and cause the engine to shut down unexpectedly, Ford said in the letter. The Dearborn, Michigan-based automaker said it will replace the sensor at no cost to owners.

Ford said it received 14 reports of accidents or loss of control related to the sensor problem with none resulting in injury. Owners will be notified of the recall starting Dec. 17, Ford said. Dan Jarvis, a Ford spokesman, didn't immediately return a voicemail message seeking comment before regular business hours
  2. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

better late than never i guess
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Awesome, the camshaft sensor was always a bit of a flaw. Now we can get the work done for free, sweet.
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

so that's why it has been doing that
  5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

any idea about trucks i used to own, probably replaced 5 cps's over the past 5 years mostly in trucks we sold...
  6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

happened to me in our 350...it also happened a few times in my buddies 2001 F150
  7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

MAN!!! i cant believe it!! after all these years they are finally doing somethin about that cam sensor!! how exciting! i didnt know it affected the 97's tho... i heard it was the worst on 99-01's
  8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i would have thought you were going to say something like how it was never really an issue, or say something about chevy or dodge to level the playing field.:laugh:
  9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

As much as I loved my '01 7.3L, when I lost the second cam sensor, I started looking a new truck. It's ridiculous they would start recalling them this late since it's been an extremely well known problem with the 7.3s for a long time now.:confused:
  10. Hummer

Hummer LawnSite Member

Hell, I carry two spare CPS's in the glove box of my 2000 F-450 with the 7.3L engine. I haven't had a problem with the currently installed CPS since buying the truck in Oct. of last year though, I just carry the spares based on the advice of guys at www.ford-trucks.com .