Ford Skidsteer 45 price?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by gml9, Aug 1, 2005.

1. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

Looked at a Ford Skidsteer 45, 40 horsepower, frontend loader, and also forks for it. Has 4,700 hours. Not sure of the year. The guy is asking 4750.00 for it. It is a diesel. Is this price good? Seems to run fine.
    Were there problems with this unit that I should be concerned about?
    Plan to get bushog attachment(hydralic) for the front but the ones I see online are 4,000-5,000!!! Is this correct? Thanks for any advice.

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

first those hydraulic brush hogs need high flow hydraulics. So you need a bigger machine.

I wouldn't pay more than $3500 for it. Since its really old.

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Yeah... asking $4500 for an outdated SSL seems a bit rough. Do you have/were you provided a specific model number?

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

My bobcat 600m skid loader is from 1971. I wouldn' have paid more than $2000 grand for it. But I got it for free and it was restored by my grandfather. (my birthday present this yeat) The older the machine the hard to get parts

5. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

On an older machine like that you would want to be concerned with catastophic component failure. If you lose an engine, hydraulic pump, or have a contaminated hydraulic system, you would end up with a repair bill that is higher than the machine cost. Ask the seller if he has any major component service history. If there is nothing, at 4700 hours coupled with the machine age, you may be at the end of its economical usable life.

You may also want to check and make sure the attachment you want will work. Older machines generally do not have the universal attachment that we see today.

6. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

I decided against this machine. My father wanted to use it for building a new driveway to a new home, and it really wasn't what he wanted. Plus, the bushog attachment was the cost of the machine. And also from all your responses...thanks for your input.