Ford Split tranny

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mini man, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

I am the proud owner of a 1989 Ford 800 single axle dump truck.
    it has a 5 speed high/low rearend.
    Any tips on shifting this beast the way it is described on the back of the sun visor?
    It is confusing to me lol:canadaflag: :laugh:

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Under load this is how I was taught to run a 5 speed with a two speed. 1 gear low to 1 gear high to 2nd low to 2nd high to 3rd low to 3 rd high and so on. When lightly loaded I would run all the low gears and then shift to high range and run the high gears. depends on the truck hp, gearing and load.

3. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

How ksss says to do it both ways is how I have done. Basically depended on how much weight I had on. I hauled allot of corn and beans with these old trucks when I was about 17 years old. It was allof of fun back in the day.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Oh the fun and joys of a 2spd axle some people like them and some hate them. I'am not a fan of them. Upshifting is easy but downshifting is hard.

Good Luck :laugh:

5. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Just make sure that it is shifting right, the 2 -speed.Sometimes they get oil(90 weight) out of the rearend in the 2- speed motor(takes 10-30 weight,there is a rubber seal between them).

Not to big a deal if warm ,but cold .It will slow down the 2-speed motor enough that it will not go into gear then the motor will rev-up and you will hear the chatting.Then you have to let up to get it to go in.

Not a good deal if your not going up a hill with load.Best to just leave it in the low side until you get it rolling easier then shift to high side and leave it there until need to shift to low side.Especially if it is doggy going into the high or low side or you will miss it.

Just be carefully with load on.I had an old International semi 5-2.I was hauling my dozer and missed the high side ,chatted ,so thought i would just clutch it.WRONG MOVE!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

When i let out on the clutch,it didn't shift to high .It stayed in low side.Took the center right out of the clutch plate:hammerhead: .Had to pull transmission replace the clutch disk.

One of those learning curves:dancing: Haven't forgot that one!!!! Good luck:walking:

6. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like others have said on here. They can be tricky. Your better off avoiding as much as you can the spitting of the transmission even though that is how they are suppose to be used.

7. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice...it is tricky for sure....