Ford Trucks. Are they really that bad?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HenryB, Jul 4, 2007.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking to buy a couple of new trucks? I ran them in the mid 90's(F250's & 350 dump). With awful results. Always broken from starters to tranny's. My F250's both lit up on fire carb electrical stuff. One burnt to a crisp the other was salvaged. For years I considered them the biggest POS's on earth. I switched to Mitsubishi's, Isuzu's and Toyota's.
    The new Ford's look great and I'd really like to buy american. Soooooooo should I give Ford a second chance or stay Japanese?

2. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

There are these other trucks (I use them myself) One is Chevy/GMC, and the other I believe is called Dodge (?). I guess you have never heard of them j/k. I would wait on the new 6.4 powerstrokes. The first gen of most motors are usually the problem child, however generations after usually have most if not all bugs sorted out.

3. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me say this: Owned 2 Dodge's with NO problems at all, got this Ford and its my first; and the last. Going to GM or Dodge next time! I wouldnt buy anything besides GM, Chrysler, or Ford anyway but thats just me.:rolleyes: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

4. HenryB

A lot of LCO's run them. However some of my friends swear by them even though they have all kinds of trouble. I'm really trying to get an objective opinion not one that loves Ford no matter what (I know a lot of people like this).

5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, my personal preference in GMC. However, i used a 2007 ford F-250 powestroke(my uncles) for a long haul trip towing a 30' boat from rhode island to Colorado, it preformed well, however, i noticed that it started overheating when being driven for more than few hours, even without the boat. it was built well, it was properly hooked up for towing that much weight and had a built in brake controller, so it towed very nicely. the transmission was solid and gave smooth shifts even under hard acceleration with the boat. the only real thing that would concern me is the engine, like i said, she overheats, and it happened more than once, all coolant levels were fine, but for some reason, the truck kept telling me it was overheating.

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

For some reason this reminded me of a recent episode of Pinks. There was a 5.0 Mustang with a Chevy engine, maybe that says something haha.

I've driv'n Ford work trucks and they did the job. I grew up both Chevy and Ford vehicles. The Fords gave us the most problems and just all together lean more on Chevy. Yeah they all their problems depending upon year make and model but just make the best educated decision for what fits you vs what looks this or that and you'll be set.

My ranking is Chevy #1 and Ford/Dodge tied for #2.

7. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well mine has 140,000 on it and it pulls every day, one clutch at 100,00 miles and other than that no parts that cost over 200 bucks, and just a few minior parts hear and there, by no means dollaring me

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan LawnSite Member

I drove tow trucks full time for ten years, I can honestly say that I towed a whole lot of Ford trucks for various things, but a big one that comes to mind is the front suspensions are notorious for premature failure. Balljoints and tie-rods especially. I towed a lot of 6.0 diesels the first year, that motor had a lot of problems and I expect the new 6.4 will too, still poor head design. There's a heck of a lot of Fords out there, they are real popular because people think they look like a tough truck, mostly due to the front sheetmetal design that I feel they copied from Dodge. Another reason being that they are cheap. Go compare prices, they outsell because they are underpriced, and you get what you pay for. I compared a Chevy, Ford and Dodge 4x4 CC DRW diesel last year, Ford was cheapest and Chevy was most expensive by a good bit. But it can't be because of profit margins or dealer markups, everybody wants to sell trucks. I think it has to go back to R&D invested. Look at the front suspensions-my sister's $45,000 V10 Excursion has leaf springs in the front! Are you kidding me? That is absolutely outdated technology. And for all the guys who still talk like it's 1988 and tell you solid front axles are stronger, get real. I used to do front axle u-joints and balljoints every year or two on my old solid axle GM plow trucks. My 97 now has 156k on the original front CV axles and balljoints, only thing I've replaced is the wheelbearings, and I think adding a 950 lb plow on top of the weight of the diesel had something to do with them only lasting 9 years and 145,000 miles.
    Any truck you buy will do the job, and any truck can have breakdowns, but I like to get the most truck I can and use it hard for a long time. If you have to have a Ford, find a 7.3 diesel if you can, that's the best motor they've ever had.
    Yes, I am an opinionated Ford hater that bleeds Chevy Orange. But I do have a lot of experience towing for a lot of road service clubs on newer vehicles. You don't even want to know what I think about BMWs.

9. HenryB

Very informative post. Thanks

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

well that guy hates fords, and says their cheap? ha! we all no my opinions, so i wont get into them again. but fords are not cheaply built, dodges are cheaply. thats a fact. henry dont listen to detroit dan. hes very wrong. fords are great trucks. the 6.0's had teir problems, but the later years were alot better. and the 6.4's are looking to be a great diesel. the gas engines ford has are also great. you wouldnt be making a mistake by going back to fords. their built much better than they were in the past. Im buying a new ford in dcember. and im very excited about it.