Ford V-10 Owners

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by zero_turn_mowers, Jun 28, 2004.

1. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at a 1999 Model Ford F-250 that has the V-10 Engine, truck has 81000 miles on it XLT reg. cab auto. Good Clean shape no leaks interior is real good ext. real nice, the only thing I am wondering about is "Gas Mileage" with gas prices up that is a bit of a concern with me, I have heard stories 5-16 mpg. I would like to hear from some of you that pull trailers and drive them on a daily working bases. By the way I can buy the truck for $7200.00

Tim

2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

About 3 weeks ago I bought a 1999 F250, 4x4 XLT extended cab, short bed, with the V10 and automatic. (That was a mouthful). Also came with a plow. Anyway, truck has 66k miles on it, and I'm getting about 9mpg around town. That includes pulling my trailer 3-4 days a week, and hauling up to 2.5 yards of mulch in the bed at times also. It's got loads of power, I don't even feel the trailer behind me, and barely noticed the mulch in the bed either. I paid $15000 for mine, $7200 sounds like a pretty good price.

3. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

FYI I was buying a truck last year and have a friend who owns a dealership. He said that the V-10 has had some problems and told me to get the Triton 5.7 v8. I am not saying that its true but it was a good source. Do some research first.

My Triton V8 has 150,000 miles on it and its a 2000. Only thing I have done is brakes, tires and oil

4. soonernation

soonernation LawnSite Member
    from Okc OK

I bought one about 2 months ago and I am very pleased. Pulling the trailor is never a concern and the gas mileage is about 10 Mpg. A friend of mine has a chip in his and is getting 13 mpg pulling a trailor filled with pool supplies. So far so good.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 99 F-250 with the V-10 I get 9 mpg pulling a fully loaded 8x24 enclosed trailer, up to 11 if it's not so loaded.

With the A/C blowing hard.

6. BackAcreFarm

BackAcreFarm LawnSite Member

I have a '99 F250 4X4 with the V10, automatic and just under 90K miles. No problems.
    Best mileage ever was 12, usually 10 to 11.
    I think it will pull about anything you want to hook up to it.
    You need good tires, it has enough power to spin all 4 without trying.

7. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a '01 F350 XL, 4x4, reg cab, auto w/ 3.73's. I get 12-13 around town empty, and about 10 towing. Have gotten 16 on a highway trip empty.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Get it. First off, you don't buy a work truck for gas mileage anyway. But, I bought a new F250 with the V8 about 7 months ago. It gets 9.5-11 pulling, that depends on the time of year. Winter its 9.5 mpg and summer with AC is closer to 10-11 mpg. With virtually no difference I would consider the V10.

9. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Alot everyone, I think I am sold on it.

Tim

10. jtm45

jtm45 LawnSite Member

hahaha, and i got some desert property i'll sell ya cheap, i drove a dodge 4X4 V-10 from NYC to Vegas and back, 40 gallon tank pulling a trailer,had to stop EVERY 100 MILES TO FILL UP!!!! can you figure out what kind of milleage i was getting???