Ford V-10 vs 6.4 Turbo Diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by wintergreenlawn&landscape, Mar 9, 2008.

1. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

I am currently looking to buy an F350. However with the economy the way it is, specifically fuel, should I pay less ( approx $8K) for the V-10 or pay out the cash for the diesel?

2. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

How many miles do you put on a truck a year and how long do you plan on keeping it? I used to buy a truck and say I was going to keep it forever, now I know that in a couple years I will be buying a new one and the current one will be gone. From everything I have seen diesel will stay higher than gas from now on since the ULSD is more expensive to refine.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

From what I have heard about the new 6.4L fuel economy, I would go with the V-10 engine. You might actually get better mpg than the diesel. I've heard some people struggling to get 11mpg with the 6.4L.

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I would go with the Diesel if your budget allows, I sold my 02 F-350 7.3L powerstroke for the Cummins powered Dodge's in-line 6, stronger engine, easy to maintain. I am saving even more in Diesel fuel with the 3/4 ton over the 1 ton dually. The 6.4 is a twin turbo, and their are problems with overheating, and the cab must be lifted off the frame to do most work$$$$. I keep my diesels maintained, so it's worth the intial cost.

5. fishmagnet

fishmagnet LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Wow!

Are you pulling a cattle-horse trailer, hauling round bales, or heavy farm equipment?

F-350 is kinda overkill for yanking lawn equipment around town.

That V-10 is a gas pig and the 6.4 diesel has known 'issues', but if those are your only choices, I'd probably opt for the V-10.

Best of luck whatever you decide!:drinkup:

6. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

Go with the diesel, resale, towing, performance, are much better in the diesel.

I have an 06 with the 6.0 and I like it, no issues so far (knock on wood)

7. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

Just so you know, all of them come with the bumper to bumper 36k mile warranty but the diesel has a powertrain warranty to 100k miles...

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0. More power than the V10, better fuel mileage then the V10and diesel and less problems being it is a GM truck. Also the duramax stomps all over the powerstroke offerings and is the most powerful diesel on the market today in stock form and holds its own when modified.

I am biased on this topic because of all our ford problems and my relatives problems. No more ford for us ever again. Plus GM engines have always made more power than ford.

9. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would get the diesel, you'll love the towing capacity.

10. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

Are these your only two options do you need that much power? A V8 will save a ton and they have lots of power.