Ford V10 vs V8

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Dojo, Mar 19, 2004.

1. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

Good decision staying away from the ford 6.0L diesel. Apart from the fact that they cost alot they are also a pile of junk! Herd from ALOT of people that thay are a mechanically poor engine. If you do decide to get a diesel buy gm or dodge until ford workes their bugs out.

2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd stay away from the V10 just because of gas prices.. For towing purposes, it doesn't matter what the size of the engine is or the total HP.. Torque is the important factor..

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I've driven both. The V10 idnt much worse on gas depending on rear end ratio. Yes, torque is the important factor. A 5.4 with 3.73 isn't gonna pull as good with only 360 torque. The 6.8 has around 400-420. The 5.4 towing is gonna use more gas than the 6.8, and gonna be hard on the truck...all depending on tow weight.
  4. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a F350 4x4 SRW w/ V-10, auto, and 3.73's. I consistently get 13mpg empty around town, 10-11 hauling a 7x14 enclosed trailer, and have gotten 16mpg runnin' empty on the highway.
  5. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2003 6.0 ltr diesel with no problems at all. I have checked a few websites and there are a few with issues just like any other manufacturer. Do you own one? I personally didn't purchase the V10 because of gas prices. I get around 16 to 17 mpg in my deisel. They are a little pricier but the power is un matched when putting them against a diesel.