FORD V8 or V10

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by EPP200, Oct 25, 2000.

1. EPP200

EPP200 LawnSite Member

I will be purchasing a new 2001 FORD F250 or F350 SD in the next week. I have decided to stay away from diesel. I was going to get a 5.4l V8 but have been finding more trucks on the dealer lots in my area that have the V10. I am not at all familiar with the V10. Anyone that knows anything between the two (V8 / V10) please give your opinion. The truck will be outfitted with a FISHER V-Plow. GEOFF, I think you are a big FORD guy, any suggestions? Thanks.

ED

2. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Well i am commemting becuase i had the use of a V10 it was a F350SD extened cab short bed 4X4 .It had so much power i was pulling a 5ton bobcat trailer loaded.I have heard that the fuel consumtion gets better when your cruising on the highway but it's only hearsay that I heard.I prefere a diesel becuase you can let i ideal for long periods and and better fuel economy and the powerstroke is a good engine lots of power until chevy gets there duramax out there.Good look and let me know what way you went.

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ok I would get the F 350 ( i will tell anyone to get a 1 ton over a 3/4, I don't care what brand you are looking at, i still would recomend the 1 ton). It is not that the 250 isn't a good truck. It just i belive that the 1 ton pick up for a little bit more ( the base cost for a F 250 4X4 is around 23,400, the base cost of a F 350 is around 23,900, this is for regular cab 4X4 XL before adding options) So the F 350 isn't that much more.

Ok, as for an engine, the 5.4 will work fine for plowing, and light towing (for a regular cab, anything else go with the v-10). However if you plan on pulling anything heavy move up to the V 10. In my personel truck, a 99 F 350 4x4 regular cab, I have the 5.4, works fine for plowing, and the fuel millages is good for driving around. However they day i had the max payload in it, was the day i wished i had the v-10 ( i have enough other trucks that can haul heavy weight, so most of the time, i don't carry more than 500 lbs in the back.) If this is your primary truck, and you plan on carrying a v-box get a V-10 and Get the F 350.

So let me sum this up.

If you want great performance when:
    Towing over 3K
    Freighting a V-box
    Hauling a Heavy pay load

Get the V-10, auto, 4.10 rear end

However if you are not going do the stuff above, very often, the 5.4 would do the job.

However i think my next truck will be a diesel, only i guess you have set your mind against it.

Geoff

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

350 & V-10

These are big, heavy trucks to begin with. Give them all the working capacity you can.

5. Ray

Ray LawnSite Member

Go with the V10. I have a 99 F350 with the 5.4 and wish I had either the diesel or the V10. The best place to go on this subject is http://www.ford-diesel.com. There forums will easily answer all your questions.
    Ray

6. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

If the $$$ is NOT the issue, I would HIGHLY recommend the 7.3 diesel over the two gas motors. Talk to just about anyone who has bought a diesel recently. The savings in maintenance/fuel are real.

I pulled my trailer to the racetrack last night. It weighs about 5K lbs with the bikes(I dragrace streetbikes). Just out of curiousity I set cruise @ ~70mph on the way to the track in N.H. Averaged 14.5 mpg towing...not bad. On the way home I cruised @ 80+mph and averaged over 12mpg, and NEVER used over 1/2 throttle going UPHILL. Yes my truck is a diesel(ram), and I'll never buy another full size gas truck. I can get 20mpg empty @ 65mph.....

Like Geoff said, if you do a lot of heavy hauling buy the V10, and get a gas card. Everyone I knows who has the V10 gets NO better than 10 mpg average. That is probably why there is Sooo many left on the lots. The 5.4 is a good motor, but a little weak for heavy payloads. Good Luck in your purchase.

Dave

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

My V10 gets 11 mpg. (Downhill only)

8. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Like i said, if it was me, i would get the diesel. I am done with gas, no more gas trucks (untill they make a diesel for my 2wd rangers and f 150).

Geoff

9. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Your Right Geoff Diesel is the only way to go for power and fuel economy.I would never buy another gas truck.