1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ford Van Idling High Intermittently

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Nov 15, 2012.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Took the one off our bronco with 351 and it was fine...one can always try.
    Posted via Mobile Device

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

Find anything yet? I got one that started doing the exact same thing last week.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

No I am under the weather....got way tooo much input to digest. Definitely concluded I will not try that throttle position sensor first.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well I replaced the IAC valve and i think that fixed the high idling so far.
    Easy to get to in the van but starting the bolts back in real hard. :clapping:
    I am still going to replace the EGR...if I can find it. I have to take the half igloo off first.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well it took awhile but the problem was water leaking into the cyclinders. They also found a leak in a vacumn hose, another leak under the throttle body, replaced the IAD and TPS and still had problem. I made a mistake and changed out the plugs before I took it in. After they concluded that it was water leaking into the cyclinder they showed me the insides and everything was clean on top of the piston. I then recalled the plugs being pretty darn clean so I hunted them up and showed them to mechanic. Yep they looked steam cleaned to him. The unit was also leaking water from freeze plugs. So their net was that they did not advise any more work. They replaced one freeze plug and dumped in the gooo for trying to seal up headgasket leaks and i picked it up. Total charge $100 for parts. These van are really bad to work on.

So my next option is rebuilt engine or send the unit west..