Ford vs Chev 3/4 Ton Diesel-Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ed2hess, Aug 26, 2006.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We are trying to decide which one to get. We want to get a truck that has decent gas mileage, and don't want to back into some other problem. Could I get some feedback on gas mileage running around town pulling a trailer.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If you want to stay away from problems then buy a GM

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Ive had a chevy 2500HD and a Ford F350. When buying new, I will buy a chevy. I sold my chevy for my ford and now I know next time I will deff. buy a chevy

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

my truck:

2002 Chevy 2500HD
    6.0L gas
    4.10 rear..........for towing
    Extended cab, long bed
    47000ish miles on it

i average 8.5mpg..........when it moves it 99.9% of the time has a 6x10 10,000 GW dump trailer behind it that weighs 2500lbs empty

without the trailer i get 10-11......12 if i'm lucky..............road trips have been as high as 15

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of problem? I am interested in gas mileage as my number one item. I have 3 Ford trucks, 150, 250, and 350. The big ones get around 6 miles to the gallon, now that is a problem.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

6.0L gas is bulletproof, 155K on mine with zero problems.

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

:gmctruck:
    Most chevy owners, don't even know what a recall, or Service bulletin is. I didn't until I statred reading guys posts on here about Fords.

:gmctruck:

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

honestly i do not know of a chevy that has serious issues..........now if it is overloaded and gas to the floor all the time, that doesn't count and those people are idiots that will put a hurt'n on any manufacturer's truck

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Out of those two, chevy no doubt. But overall, dodge/cummins is my vote for best fuel economy.

10. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I only have 23,000 miles on my chevy, but I would buy another one if I had to get another truck tomorrow.

For gas mileage, get a tune. www.wait4meperformance.com provides tunes for the 6.0 gas chevy. I get about 12 in city towing, 16 highway empty empty w/ tune.