FORD vs. DODGE

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CLARK LAWN, Dec 12, 2005.

1. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

Im looking for at two dump trucks one ford one dodge both are about the same money ford is 95 F350 4x4 5speed with 7.5 (460cid) dodge is 2000 3500 2wd 5 speed with a 5.9 (360) same bed one both both in very good cond. any info pro/con on either would be appreciated. thank you.

2. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

Is the dodge a diesel, if so get it quick, if not and you do not need 4x4 the newer the better, the ford will have much much more power but that takes a large load really notice the power diffrence.

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

The 460, will keep you at the pump more than the 5.9 will. remember, the 5.9 is a diesel, the 460 is a gasser, and VERY big. go with the diesel and enjoy the power.

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

dodge is a 5.9 gas also dodge has 71000 miles on it the ford has 54000

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't buy either, the Ford is a tad older than I would buy and the DOdge would be perfect but it's 2wd. Now if the Ford was a Diesel and the Dodge was a 4wd it would be a draw evn though Im not a Ford man, they do make nice trucks (Nothin like the Heartbeat:) )

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If you want a real truck, go with the FORD!!!!!!!! JMO:waving:

7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a ford man through and through, though I prefer the 351 motors to the 460, only cause I dont have a need for a 460CI engine.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

You def. need 4wd for plowing, dont need a 460 gass guzzler though...walk from both.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The 360 Dodge gas is a PIG on fuel a young lady I work with time to time her dad has a 99 2500 4x4 the truck is 360 automatic at best it gets 8mpg and it has no power.

The 460 will get 8-10mpg it has enough pulling power I have had a F-450 with 460 5spd with the truck grossing 17,000lbs the truck went along fine. I did get tired of putting fuel into the truck every time you pass a gas station the truck automatically turns into the gas station. The farther you pushed your right foot down faster the fuel gauge needle dropped.

One thing I was told if you have a 1/4 tank of gas you are not going very far I always had to keep the tank full because the nearest gas station to my house is 6kms (3.7) miles. The next station is 20kms (12.5) miles away there is no hope in h*ll you could make it there on 1/4 of a tank.

If your looking for a dump look for a diesel if its a Ford 88 and newwer if its a Chev anything with a Duramax the 6.5 and 6.2 Diesels are turds as for Dodge you will be hard pressed to find truck with a dump. If you do its a P/U with a dump body which isn't what you want.

If your looking at Chebbys they should be gas pots as the 6.2 is a gutless wonder and the 6.5 will leave its crankshaft in the middle of the road if you push the engine too hard. The Duramax is a vast improvement even thou I'am not a big fan of aluminum heads on a cast iron block and on a diesel the Duramax hasn't had the major engine failures like the 6.5.

The Dodge trucks are junk period the only thing worth of value is the Cummins otherwise the rest is worthless.

You don't want to buy a dump truck that is just a dually P/U with the box removed and a 8' mason box installed on it. The Chassis on a P/U isn't strong enough the rear suspension is too light. A true cab and chassis with a 60" Cab axle is what you want for a 8' box and 84 cab axle for a 10-11-12' box.

As for 4wheeldrive its worth every penny I wish I had 4wheeldrive as I live in a rural area my 95 F-450 is 2wd it goes no where in the snow which really doesn't bother me. Its when you get stuck in mud or soft ground is why I want 4wheeldrive the one wheel spin wonder gets frustrating at times.

A 2wd is okay for if you spend allot of time on pavement and you don't live in snow country where it starts snowing in Novemeber and doesn't go away till May. The one drawback of a 2wd is the no ground clearance you may not feel thats a big deal but it can be. A good set of traction tires on a 2wd will get you though most situations.

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I agree w/ everything except this comment. This is really not true. He is old fart and cannot admit Dodge's have changed since the 1970-1980s. My Dodge 3500 cummins is still running everyday w/ 292,000 miles. The only thing I have done this year is battery and oil changes. But really your best bet would be a ford w/ a dedicated dump body. They are easy to find, but I would not buy a gas engine.