1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ford vs GM whats working these days and breaking?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I dont really like dodge stuff, i like how the newer 04/05 Rams look but just dont want their trans problems, dont like their interiors either. 06 or 03 etc.

Ill be looking for a very new or brand new truck end of this year to add to my 91 f150 i use now.

Main reason is pulling power, my 5.0 v8 gas just doesnt have much pullling a load especially when ill be pulling a 20' enclosed trailer.

Ive heard many many bad things about the 6.0 Powerstrokes in the 04s-06s, ive also heard people not like some 7.3L and use a lot of fuel, but had a lot of power. Im interested in an 05/06 F350 superduty extended cab, fx4 4x4 and a long bed. I really like the look of the 05s+. The 07s are supposed to be many months away yet so i probably cant take them into consideration even with the 6.4L twin turbo hype.

I would also consider a GM, the silverado i think is too pointy lookin in the front, the GMC Sierras i do like though. I think the GM interior is too luxury looking. I like the fancy gismos/electronics but i dont want leather, but seems every Sierra has bucket cadillac looking leather seats. I love the Superduty Ford cloth seats. If i picked up a used superduty with leather i would sell it and get the non-Lariat cloth grey/black colored seats.

It seems everyones raving about their 650lb/tq 6.6L turbo diesel now. If i could ask an unbiased opinion based on power ONLY or people that have chips or exhuast kits on them, i most likely would upgrade it anyway to get some more umph out of it. Are the 6.0L 570lb torque powerstrokes THAT slow as people talk about online? Ive never driven either keep in mind, my uncle has a 2003 i THINK it has the 7.3L in it though, im not sure, wont let me drive it either, hes just like that:dizzy:
  2. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Duramax just cant be beat!
  3. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

the older dodges has some tranny issues but it seems that now they have had that cleared up. the fords had some trouble with the early 6.0's but that too seems to be cleared. i have driven all 3 makes with the newer diesels and to be honest i like them all.but i did like the 6 speed better in the ford than in the dodge. the 6.0 is pretty quick, as well as the dodge. the dodge will get better fuel mileage and will turn a higher rpm at highway speeds. frankly i havent heard anyone say they any of the big3's diesels are slow
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

welll thanks for your opinions, yeah i cant think any 500+ tq deisel is slow, but im sure other guys are comparing 650lb tq duramaxes or modified to stock trucks or something. I would be looking at a F350 or 2500hd or 3500 non duallys with a diesel, upgrade to a full exhuast, something nice but not loud since its used for towing, a banks or edge kit and an intake of some sort. Id like to get larger tires at the very least maybe BFG all terrains in a larger/wider size even on stock rims is fine, the stock tires look like donuts on some of these newer monster sized trucks.
  5. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Get a chevy or gmc with the allison transmission, can't be beat. Ford makes a nice diesel, but their transmissions have problems. Plus the chevies sit lower, this is a plus when you are throwing stuff in the back. my two cents

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't want to break, go GM. We are rid of every Ford we had and have not had one single issue in 60,000 miles. The bubble heads might beg to differ, because they can't see truth through the gas inside that bubble.
  7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

They are all good trucks.

I pull 4,000 lbs of trailer and lawn equipment with my V6 1/2 ton Silverado every day and never had any problems what so ever.

Other than being slow off the line and when merging/passing my Chevy has proved its self in terms of durability, and it gets the job done.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Between the two, I would pick the chevy/duramax. Just too many probs being reported with the 6.0 powerstroke. See for yourself on www.thedieselstop.com . Just to clear something up here, the auto trans in the dodge is actually a good tranny especially the 05/06 models. These have a tow/haul program and instead of locking out o/d, it adjusts shift points and locks the torque convertor in 3rd and 4th. Just some food for thought there.
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah i forgot to mention i was assuming the newest 6sp allison was by far the strongest consumer truck transmission? how is the 5 speed auto ford torqshift trans? Ive heard its a nice transmission but then others say now its a bad transmisson? bad as in problems at very low miles or doesnt last 100k miles etc? My 91 was purchased new by my dad years ago, he towed his heavy boat and camping trailers for years before at 152k the trans finally was mis shifting and studdering while in overdrive, shifts were sloshy etc. was rebuilt and works great now at 182k still. Im very mechanically handy, work on all my own cars but know very little about deisel engines yet i want one in the next truck, im just scared about repairs since the motors cost so much more than a gas engine.
  10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

i am running all CHEVY's now. Had the fords, the dogde but always having tranny problems, rear end problems, or alway fixing on the engine - I couldn't afford the ford any longer. Now i have 5 chevy's - 2 gmc's hd and 3 chevy hd. 5th wheel pulling, landscape trailer pulling, snow plowing - beside tires, I did replace a fan clutch on our GMC but that has been it. Ask me again in a couple of years and tell ya how all the chevy's handled the long term test.