Ford YT 16

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by jas1203, Jun 5, 2008.

1. jas1203

jas1203 LawnSite Member

Hey All-

I've recently been given a Ford YT-16 Tractor. Here's the specs on it, as I know there were several different versions of it:

Kohler Magnum Twin Cylinder 16 HP
    42" 3 Blade Deck
    Electric PTO Deck Engagement
    525 Cranking Amp Battery
    5 Speed Manual Tranny
    Huge Gas tank (Anyone know the size?)
    ...and of course a big comfy seat
    Top Speed clocked at about 6.5 MPH

I'll be using the tractor to mow 1.3 acres at home on a weekly basis, as well as towing trailers of sand, firewood, etc. with it.
    It was given to me because the tranny was on it's way out, and of course I blew it up not long after I got it, cracked the casing and everything. I put in a different Tecumseh tranny out of a wheelhorse and it's prefectly fine now. Doesn't snap out of gear with a load on it!

I just have a few questions:

1. What are some frequent problems with these that I could work on preventing? It's a nice mower and I'd like to keep it that way.

2. I've never had an electric PTO before, but I love this one, so nice to flick on a switch to turn on the deck. These things apparently cost a few hundred dollars to replace. This one works, and I'd like to keep it that way. It's got a brand new belt and it fires up the second I push the switch. Any preventative stuff I should do to keep from killing it?

Overall, I'm pleased with the tractor. It has a pretty good turning radius given its size, which I was surprised with. It drags massive rocks through the woods I could never have dreamed of pulling with my old Wheel Horse 111-5 or Noma. It cuts perfectly even and never lugs down even on 1/2 throttle running through the thickest of grass. ...and of course it's a Ford (technically a Gilson) so that pleases me right there.
  2. clem4411

clem4411 LawnSite Member

do u have an owners manual or could you e mail it to me ? I would pay you for it..I just bought one and I would like a owners manual .e mail me at