$%#$*$* Ford

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Breezmeister, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

The Pic below is a tire set up on an 04 Ford F 450, the problem is that the rim will not come off the hub :confused: It's rusted on and is typical for Ford rims on their 350s and up here in the North East. Salt. I don't have a puller that big :dizzy: Now short of putting a chain on it and pulling it off, and yea, I've done that :hammerhead: Any good ideas would be much appreciated:drinkup:

Tire1.JPG

ericg likes this.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Loosen the lug nuts slightly off the rim and rock the truck forward to reverse hitting the brakes.

Or loosen the lugs three to four turns with the tire just off the ground, Stand a 2x4 up next to the front or rear of the tire and smack the 2x4 with a BF sledge.

We have our share of Yankee vehicles down here also. :)

3. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

ROTFLMA !

I have tried that with the sledge hammer, loosened the lugs alittle and drove it around in a circle, taken a masons chisel and worked my way around the the rim trying to split the two rims from each other, even used my air hammer :dizzy: But all of them take alittle more time then I would like :(
    With all the problems I see the guys around here having with Fords....YOU should not have to fight to get the rim off a truck.
    Well, looks like I will be needing a bigger sledge hammer.
    Thanks Restrorob, I'll have a good laugh tomorrow when I see that yankee vehicle :drinkup:

ericg likes this.
  4. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

My old '77 chevy's both back wheels were the same song and dance a couple years back. I loose'd them just two hairs,and went for a off road journey in my very bumpy field,and the d#m things still did'nt budge.Took to tire shop and $40 bucks and some serious pounding with a BF orange hammer,not to mention the vast sweat drippage,they finally gave up their ghosts!Now i always take them off every 2years and lubricate behind those sneaky rims!

5. olyman

olyman LawnSite Gold Member

as rob said--also--when you get them off--clean the rust around the axle hub area--and on the inside of the rim----T H E N--find some antisieze--copper or nickel--and apply some both on the rim and the axle area--will never sieze again---antisieze is the wonder grug of the mechanic world--

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

This should work.

ico-hydraulic-hammer-working.jpg

7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

check out my post call our rig 02 f350 alum over steel dam things were basically welded toget i even broke a sledge getting one side off 1.5 hours. You can buy a gasket for a couple bucks well worth it but also lube it up now they come off no problem

8. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Did you get it yet? Jack the wheel up maybe 1/4". Remove the lug nuts. Lay a 4x4 against the opposite wheel.(under the axle) Butt a bottle jack or high lift against the 4x4. Put a piece of wood against the wheel and bottle jack. Start jacking and hammering the rim. Its like you are pushing the wheels out from the inside.

Scott

9. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

I did a search for your thread but came up empty :confused: As for the gasket, is this a ford thing or after market ?

ericg likes this.
  10. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

No, havn't tried yet. When these guys come in at the end of the day I've been walking down to their shop and soaking the rims with PB Blaster. I'm waiting to the week end to do this on my time and make some lunch money for the week :) I'll have to try the bottle jack idea, never heard that one before :)

ericg likes this.