Lawn Care Forum banner

fords........

7K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  WorldsStrongestLandscaper 
#1 ·
took my 00 f350 in for recall. they called to tell me the oil pan was rotted, wanted $3000 to replace it. ford..... diesel tanks delaminate, manifolds crack daily, oil pans rot out, 460 heads rot out, shackels dont last.... all problems due to metal. 100 years and business, cant they find good metal and fix these problems that have plagued them?

while is was there heard them talking about replacing the injectors on a 2011. then heard them talk about PCM's shorting out, catching fire??? really? come on ford. get with the game. I for one am fed up..and torn. i love my trucks and dont want to switch, but im tired of paying $3k for an oil pan, $3500 in damage when my fuel tank delamates (2x in 2 years/14K miles too!), $2500 for a head on a 460 because bosses rot off, my friend was just told his truck with 66K miles needed $2k for exhaust manifold......the list goes on and on and on.

i know all trucks have their problems but it just seems like they cant get their act together. if fords new 6.7L powerstroke fails like the 6.0 and 6.4, adn all the head/manifold problems with the gas engines, fords going to sink IMO

#2 ·
Ford wont go under they have a very effective advertising program. A lot of people don't research a products history they simply go on looks and what their told by the advertisers. I must admit I love the looks of those trucks, but would never own one until they can put together a truck that can maintain a good reputation for ten years or so.

#4 ·
My uncle is head service guy at a large ford dealer. He says it all the time. People look at the "toughness branding" that is in the commercials. Ford is alot more in your face type of truck than say gm or dodge. Ford has there advertising down and for that great for them.

I have had all three brands. I am now all GM. Trucks have 125K to 2200 miles on them. I have done nothing but replace shocks on the the 125K truck this week. Change oil, filters, etc. So far if there not broken, nickel n dimeing me, I am sticking with Gm for a while.

Now some will say what your doing them depends on there life. All trucks have Boss V plows on them, sanders, 32ft gooseneck trailers hooked all summer, hauling block, sod, skid, etc. I do use them.

#5 · (Edited)
I think if you sold your Fords instead of buying more you would be a much happier person from what I've seen from you on here.

FYI, I had an oil pan rust through on my Chevy S10. The engine had to be unbolted and jacked up just to get it out. Nothing to cry about.
i agree. only selling them for say gm's will cost more than keeping what i have. as they are replaced, they will be with other brands to help conserve some money rather than selling them all and replacing. my 08 will most likely be traded in as soon as the warranty is up. against my own advice i did buy another recently but largely due to its $1500 price tag for a 7.3l powerstroke over brand since it is only a backup truck. all newer trucks will not be fords. most of my problems started when i purchased my 08', so in my defense i was still a ford guy up till then

good luck to you if your truck was built in the 3 month block were they catch on fire. let me know how that burned out shell treats you. i dont wish you the same troubles ive had though

we had a blizzard a few days ago, my 08's tranny light came on the night before. ford say i cant drive it, not like it needs to earn me a living. the manuel says if it stays on teh truck goes into limp mode and needs to be towed in. my abs and air bag lights all turned on durring the storm. my truck was also in regen more than half the time stinking and smoking. its just wrong my truck has soo many problems. its going back in for two differnt oil leaks, tranny issue, my engine pulleys are squeaking and ahve already been replaced several times....

#6 ·
My 05 6.0 is in right now,limped in with water in fuel light on,ended up being an injector 500.00$ oil change and fuel filters??? Just did fuel filters 6 months ago. Only 2000 miles on filters. Truck has 35000 miles on it. We will see. This is the 1st time its in the shop motor wise,both front u joints broke,(due to plowing ,hard turning,with the super long wheel base) Pretty happy with the truck overall(It cost me 81,000 with all the bells and whistles so I hope it lasts for 14 more yrs at least! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
i agree. only selling them for say gm's will cost more than keeping what i have. as they are replaced, they will be with other brands to help conserve some money rather than selling them all and replacing. my 08 will most likely be traded in as soon as the warranty is up. against my own advice i did buy another recently but largely due to its $1500 price tag for a 7.3l powerstroke over brand since it is only a backup truck. all newer trucks will not be fords. most of my problems started when i purchased my 08', so in my defense i was still a ford guy up till then

good luck to you if your truck was built in the 3 month block were they catch on fire. let me know how that burned out shell treats you. i dont wish you the same troubles ive had though

we had a blizzard a few days ago, my 08's tranny light came on the night before. ford say i cant drive it, not like it needs to earn me a living. the manuel says if it stays on teh truck goes into limp mode and needs to be towed in. my abs and air bag lights all turned on durring the storm. my truck was also in regen more than half the time stinking and smoking. its just wrong my truck has soo many problems. its going back in for two differnt oil leaks, tranny issue, my engine pulleys are squeaking and ahve already been replaced several times....
Super Cuts, That is B.S. those trucks are to expensive for that to happen!!

#8 ·
Fords are becoming more and more disposable, not worth much out of warranty. Being a Ford man all my life I'm opting for something else next time, probably GM.

#10 ·
All the car/truck manufacturers have been making cars and trucks for over 100 years. There is no excuse for them to be making something that can't last at least 10 years without any issues. There was an article last week that stated that 2010 saw the most recalls by car/truck manufacturers in history. So, where is the problem: the average worker, the engineers, cheap materials being used to keep costs down, etc? It's insane.

#11 ·
My 05 6.0 is in right now,limped in with water in fuel light on,ended up being an injector 500.00$ oil change and fuel filters??? Just did fuel filters 6 months ago. Only 2000 miles on filters. Truck has 35000 miles on it. We will see. This is the 1st time its in the shop motor wise,both front u joints broke,(due to plowing ,hard turning,with the super long wheel base) Pretty happy with the truck overall(It cost me 81,000 with all the bells and whistles so I hope it lasts for 14 more yrs at least! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device
I was always a die hard Ford man till they came out with the 4.6 triton motors, then all bets were off. Never seen such junk forced on customers in my life.
I spent well over 15 years working on GM cars and trucks in dealerships an always owned at least two Fords much to my bosses dismay.
Long story short I was the one who fixed all them junk Fords that came in via trade or auctions and I've lost count on all the spring hangers and shackles I've changed not to mention how many stripped spark plug holes I've fixed, broken exhaust manifold studs extracted from v10's and 5.4's... the list goes on an on. Wait till you have to do a head gasket on one of these trucks and you find out the only way to get the heads off is to remove the cab or at least jack it up six inches.WTF !? Ford, who the hell thought of this? Must have been a rocket scientist after all the windshield is sloped like the space shuttle, oh wait that caught on fire too, maybe the same guy went to design for Ford after leaving NASA.
Poor steel is an issue but I personally won't own or should I say DISLIKE owning ANYTHING that has a power coating on it. Once it has a chip in it it will attract moisture like a magnet rotting out whatever it's covering. During the paint process all oils have to be removed for the power to stick then during the baking process whatever wasn't chemically stripped from the steel is baked off leaving it very susceptible to rusting.
Give me a nice enamel or oil based paint any-day over that crap.

Back to them Fords, Broken manifold studs....Easy fix - poor design.
The exhaust gaskets are assembled in a sandwich, most out of three layers of ****ty low quality stainless steel. The two outer layers lay flat with the center having some ridges and bulges (ha,ha I said ridges and bulges). What happens is that the center layer starts to rust due to low quality steel and electrolysis between the cast manifold and aluminum head and expands between the two outer layers causing the manifold studs to sheer off just like you overtightened them. Something has to give...

As far as anyone that's had a spark plug shoot out of their Ford and it usually breaks the coil too... Well its comforting to know that there is only 3 to 5 threads holding in the plug in the first place. Why design a spark plug with an inch plus reach that's threaded all the way to only use 3 to 5 threads to hold it in an aluminum head in the first place? Must have been that rocket scientist again, Maybe he's too young to remember spark plugs blowing out of early VW bugs, maybe he's never seen a Heli-Coil, but I bet he knows what they are now.
I've fixed so many plugs I broke down and bought my own repair kit just for fixing friends trucks now.
Search for "TIME-SERT NEW FORD TRITON SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIR KIT" Simply the best repair kit on the market for them Fords.

As for MY business I run two FORD Trucks the first I've built from the ground up an 1978 F-250 4x4 400 cid Automatic with a rack mount dump body and plow and an 1985 F-350 2wd mason dump 460 gasser 4 speed, It was a contractors truck that was used as a rolling dumpster for small jobs and only has 34,000 miles.
That said between the two of them I think I only have about $7,000 in them both, not to mention the lower taxes and insurance bills.
Don't get me wrong I'd love to own a new truck someday but I can't see spending $81,000 on a new one when I can build three or four of them just how I want them for that price.
Oh and when I buy that new truck I'll look at them Fords but will probably own a Chevy:hammerhead:
AS for my daily drivers: The wife has an Volvo 850 Turbo wagon, I have a Volvo 740 Turbo sedan, a 1978 FORD BRONCO and a 1966 Kaiser-Jeep M35a2 Deuce-and-a- half...:cool2:

Automotive lighting Toolbox Product Tool Hand tool

#12 ·
I just got rid of an 08 Chevy in April with just over 20k. I was always a ford guy and had a few dodges as well and decided to try a chevy, big mistake.

The 08 Chevy issues I had was the exhaust vibration (they added pieces of flex pipe to absorb the noise) more annoying then anything, but this was a new truck and it sounded like the exhaust was rubbing in the frame.

Then it developed a 3-2-1 clunk according to the papers they gave me and GM called it normal (if you call it normal when the truck is lost between gears and the truck needs to be stopped to find itself or forced into gear, usually around 4k on the tack before it will clunk into gear) hence the 3-2-1 clunk.

At just over 20k it started running on 3 cylinders (mass airflow switch), but while in the shop for that they found the intake was leaking from the inside out, I lost the truck for 2 weeks this time and they refused to get me a rental for 3 days, they said I could run it as is until they got all the parts..:nono: Long story short, all I needed was a uniform and a time card as I was at the dealership that much with this truck. Also 3 other companies bought around the same time and I see there trucks at the dealership all the time.

I tried t lemon it to no avail, and once I got it back from the dealership I cleaned it out and traded back to a f-250 SD. So, yeah they all have issues and it comes down to what you like, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

#13 ·
I just got rid of an 08 Chevy in April with just over 20k. I was always a ford guy and had a few dodges as well and decided to try a chevy, big mistake.

I tried t lemon it to no avail, and once I got it back from the dealership I cleaned it out and traded back to a f-250 SD. So, yeah they all have issues and it comes down to what you like, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
thanks for the line. i know they all have their problems. what is great abotu your post is you give actual problems to look for. i will most likely be going GM next time and now i have short list of things to look into. the only other complaints ive heard about are the exhaust manifords. maybe i should be looking at dodge? i went down the lemon law twice with my truck.....i won the first case but it was thrown out, then i was told my truck didnt meat criteria at the 2nd hearing and i lost!! WTF?. the arbitrating attorney was from my town and questioned me more about an unrelated negative subject to do with town then about my truck. the state "expert" was hardly qualified to look at car let alone testify how they opporate. now the attorney general is reviewing my complaint and the way my case has been handled.

#14 ·
Posted via Mobile Device
Can i see a pic of this $81,000 truck? I have never heard of a pick up that cost that much. But, you didn't say it was a pickup. Please don't tell me you paid $81,000 for a pickup. If you did you are even dumber than i was for spend 50 on one.

#15 ·
Ok ready 53800 for the truck F-550 XLT Crew cab chassis only no bed,6-disc cd changer 9000 for the custom 12' rack dump, Yeah its a boat!5000 for the Fisher 9.5 E-Z plow 5000 for the 2.7 yd sander,9000 for the finance charges,and I did another 2-3500 on customizing the exterrior, So I have 85000 into it! We did the injector,changed the oil and filter ,Both fuel filters and its still a slug???? I'm going down to the shop to figure it out tomorrow morning! I need some luck for this one!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
I dont have much experience with Fords.. But my 2002 2500HD has had 140,000 problem free miles..

The truck I drive at work, 2006 F350 with the 6.0 with 80,000 miles. has had multiple..

First injectors. Now something else went out Friday. I am not sure what all went but I know it was burning all the water and when I finally limped it back to the shop oil was pouring from the muffler.

I told them 2 weeks ago something was wrong with it when it was smoking..

#18 ·
We have lost O rings on the injectors on 6.0 trucks causing hard starts and a lack of power. Also had bad injectors causing the same . With a 550 truck with the fuel tank behind the rear axle I would start with the screens in the fuel pump and change your fuel filters, cut them open and see if they are all brown and rusty. You can also pull the sending unit and swab the top of the tank to see if its rusting out. If so call you service manager and see if they will replace it under warranty if not just do it yourself its not that hard but the tank is $780 plus new filters and fuel pump.

#19 ·
Thx guys,gonna ck it. The rear tank was making the truck run the worse of the two. I'll leþ ya know. If the fuel pump is still working,can't I just clean it? Now with the rear tank ,can I relaminate the inside? Seen it done to a 79 mustang tank on Spike TV on Powerblock? BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
If the screens are clogged then you might want to just replace the whole works. The injectors need a certain PSI and with the screens getting clogged up they have not been getting that which can cause them to be under lubricated causing them to go bad also. Hope this helps ,this is how it was all explained to me by my Ford tech. And you wonder why our latest truck has a duramax .

#22 ·
We have lost O rings on the injectors on 6.0 trucks causing hard starts and a lack of power. Also had bad injectors causing the same . With a 550 truck with the fuel tank behind the rear axle I would start with the screens in the fuel pump and change your fuel filters, cut them open and see if they are all brown and rusty. You can also pull the sending unit and swab the top of the tank to see if its rusting out. If so call you service manager and see if they will replace it under warranty if not just do it yourself its not that hard but the tank is $780 plus new filters and fuel pump.
my tank was $900. your 6.0L will fry those injectors with low fuel preasure. like he said, check the top of the tank, its usually worse then the bottom but mine was rotted all along the bottom as well.

my 08 is going back in tommarrow for the umpteenth time

#23 ·
Thx guys,gonna ck it. The rear tank was making the truck run the worse of the two. I'll leþ ya know. If the fuel pump is still working,can't I just clean it? Now with the rear tank ,can I relaminate the inside? Seen it done to a 79 mustang tank on Spike TV on Powerblock? BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device
Well whats the word ? What did you find out ?

#24 ·
My mechanic said that all he has to do is reprogram it. Another 14 hrs later and still no word??? He's saying I shouldn't worry? We will C BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.