foreclosed homes??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncrew, May 15, 2008.

1. lawncrew

lawncrew LawnSite Member

is it worth mowing forclosed or bank owned homes?? And if so what is the best way to find them and go about doing that?
  2. mikeylikesit5805

mikeylikesit5805 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kent OH

lawncrew, ive been thinking about the same thing, the only thing that i can think of is that the lawns will be heavily overgrown. but other than that i think its a good idea.
  3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

call your city they will take bids for abandon prop. i have the contract for my city the first cut sucks but we cut every week after. we get about 10 accounts a year big money we do all the bed maintenance spraying fert i live in a upper class city tho
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I mow about 20 bank owned foreclosed homes a week...and I'd say it's pretty profitable. I get $25 a house and im in and out like no other. The bad thing about it is that you have to take a lot of pictures every house. Banks want pics of the address before and afters and action shots of your equipment on the property, Which slows you down, but I can still bust out 20 in just about 8 hrs by myself if things go right. Whats kinda messed up is that I get a updated list every week with newer homes added to the list, and what makes it even more nuts is that there all bi-weekly. So it's more like doing 40 random bi weeklies split in half every week. I obtained these accounts through a property preservation company that deals directly with the bank for numerous jobs on foreclosed homes.
  5. Realtors have the inside track - forget abandoned...

Go find the realtors! There are a couple in every city and town that handle a LOT of foreclosures for banks. Get in good with them and you're gold.
  6. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

I like the realtors more than foreclosures. Realtors usually want the property looking great, plus if the new owners like the job you do, then you can pick them up as a new customer.

Money in either one though, talk to the banks and realtors. Just go into the office and ask for who is in charge of it and hand them your card. A lot of them are looking for people that service these types of places.

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

go to the real estate office by you and ask? ? the only pain that I HEARD is the trash you hit in the yards and some times the drive from each ..
  8. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

Get in with a reality office. I cut 10 forclosures for metro reality and I cut there office. I have also started getting sold homes that have not closed yet. The nice thing is you bill per cut or job so no waiting for your money. I just billed the agent that handles forclosures $500.00 and another agent $100.00 for May so far. Good luck.
  9. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a contract with the city on forecloses/abandoned property.
    I did 5 new yards this week.

Its not the best job in town but it pays good. There is a city ordnance that gives the city the right to mow abandoned property if the grass is over 8" tall. Well all the property i mow is like 15 to 20" tall, a REAL MESS. But its a per hour charge. You will need be able to fix your own mowers, and be prepared to run over all kinds of trash. If you have plenty of equipment its not a bad job. But I would not take on this type of work if you don't have all kinds of different weed cutters and small powerful mower that can take a beating.

I work all so with a few Realtors but find them just a middle man to the owner. If i mow for the Realtor them selfs there looking for CHEEP. and thats not usually me.
  10. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Ever think about buying a forclosed home if the price is very cheap?? Don't know your area how the real estate market is. If the price drop a lot and you can bit cheaply for a property in good location, rent it out and keep it for a while, that might bring you more money!!!! Just a thought.
    I have been doing real estate investment for many years, way before this craze. If you think about this, be very careful though.