Foreclosures anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blue Line Bob, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Blue Line Bob

Blue Line Bob LawnSite Member

I accidentally got back in the LC business in 2005. Found a niche market in foreclosed residential properties. I started with just routine lawn care, which led to trashouts, winterizations, lock changes, etc. I stay just ahead of being behind, which is a good thing! Problem is, I may need to hire someone to help when mowing starts in April, but I have to wait months to be paid. Anyone else in this situation?
    Bob

2. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Bob we do allot of mowing of these properties maybe 200 every 2 weeks they are ok the company we work for pays every 30 days it seems to work out ok. Anyone who can do trash out is talented some of these house up here you couldnt pay me 5000 a house to clean them out they are trashed some people even **** on the floors. Who do you work for realator bank or organiztion or 3rd party

3. Blue Line Bob

Jeff,
    My accounts are split between real estate companies and national mortgage companies. Trashouts are where I make the most money. Some I don't want, but have to take the good with the bad. I HAVE SEEN SOME WICKED ****!! Some people have no respect for themselves, muck less others.

4. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i have had two companies call and ask me if i was interested in doing the same kind of work .......i busted out laughing when they told me what they are paying

5. Blue Line Bob

I set the price.. is 100.00 an hour (minimum) for trashouts anything to laugh at? Nasty work, but worth it.
    Bob

6. lwelve

lwelve LawnSite Member

We do lawn care and snow removal for a company out of Texas that only handles foreclosures.
    Our properties are all in Penna.
    Haven`t gotten into trash outs , lock outs etc.
    Just do lawn and snow.
    Problem is the amount they are willing to pay for services, most times we get what we want by calling and discussing their fees. Problem they have is not always having someone available to do work, so they are usually willing to pay the going rate.
    We have to take before and after photos and email along with invoice.
    Payment is usually 45 - 60 days out.
    Not the best business for us , but it pays the bills when times are slow.
    Mowing is every other week schedule.
    Good luck with your efforts on foreclosures.
    LVE Lawn Service

7. Blue Line Bob

It's a pain sometimes. I have to take before and after photos on most and email them with the invoice. Mowing is every 2 weeks here as well. Initial cut is 150.00, then 50.00 each cut. With the price of gas, hopefully I can charge a little more this year. What are the standard rates in Texas?
    Bob

8. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

same price they offered me but they wanted me to work a 30 mile radius and not pay for driving time .........no thanks

9. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

bluelinebob.... send me a pm if you could and let me know what companies you are dealing with. Im also is your situation and planning on doing trashouts here soon.

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done a couple of cleanups at foreclosures. A few of those places were scary and that was the outside. There was no way I would go inside. How do people live like that?