foreclosures

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnLady10, Feb 2, 2010.

1. LawnLady10

LawnLady10 LawnSite Member

I keep hearing about all these bank properties that need work. How do you go about getting these accounts? I looked into one such company and there was a timed 40 page test that was completely irrelevant to landscaping in general. NOT what I was looking for.

2. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

The bulk of my yards are forclosures but the down side is you may have 20 this week and in 2 weeks have 10. It's a gamble but I also have about 15 other weekly customers I mow for. Occasionally I get some clean up jobs from them and get to pull weeds, and reinstall mulch but not often.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

REad your turf MAg.

there's a GREAT articule there this month about this issue.

Personaly I wouldn't touch them

4. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

They contacted me last year . All over grown ,most likely you will find a bees next in every yard LOL. Pay is slow. But not to bad . I kinda like working for them. Little change up.

5. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

i get paid with in 5-10 days and its not pocket change

6. regal services

regal services LawnSite Member

Been working on foreclosed properties going on 3 years. I answered an ad on craigslist. In the winter I do winterizations and lock changes. Starting in April we mow. The first time there if it is high you can bid it. I get paid like clock work. I have another thread going. The problem I have is they only let you mow 2 times a month. And around here that means very tall grass for the first 4 to 6 weeks. I am trying to figure out this year how to cut faster. I have a billy goat brush cutter. But you have to haul away the clippings. And that is what is taking my time in the spring is raking up clippings.

7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I work for a guy who manages foreclosed properties. He pays me every week and the work was pretty steady during the growing season.

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I might add... that's not all I do. I just do wome work for him to fill up my schedule.