1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Foreign Workers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mike48114, Jan 22, 2004.

1. mike48114

mike48114 LawnSite Member

Like many of you, we have a heck of a time finding good help. I was wondering if any of you use foreign workers. What are the costs associated with it and what is the best way to go about finding the help? Any help or decision would be great!

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Put an add in the paper, pay a decent wage, treat empoyees with respect.
  3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We use them extensively. Sign up for the H2b program. That way you are sure they are legal. And as said..treat them as you would any other worker.
  4. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I hire 75% of my employees from the state of ohio parole board, why you ask.
    1. they need a second chance at life
    2. they are used to working thier butts off
    3.they will work for lower pay because they have a hard time finding a job any where else with a felon on the record.

Accourse I screen them before I hire them, and most of the time I hire the guys that have been there for 10 or more years. They seem to be more gratefull for the job.
  5. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

The h2b program can be a great thing. It has worked well for us in the past. It may not be for everybody.

I am not sure about the parole board thing. lol
  6. mike48114

mike48114 LawnSite Member

The parole thing scares me...I dont want a Lazer Z leaving a lawn and hopping on the highway. What kind of costs are associated with the h2b program aside from the guys wages?
  7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member