Foreman was out mowing and broke....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Jun 26, 2008.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

My foreman has broken this bolt not once but TWICE. Both today and yesterday he calls me saying the bolt has bent, and then broke.

Thankfully my dealer fixed it on the spot yesterday, and then again today. The dealer says they have never seen this bolt break, ever.

To be exact, this is the LONG bolt that has the tension spring on it for raising and lowering the deck.

My question for all of you guys... ANY IDEA HOW THIS COULD HAVE BENT, AND THEN BROKE???

I asked my foreman DID YOU STEP ON IT!? Of course he says he didn't, and claims he has no idea how the bolt bent, other than he hit some big bumps and that might have put some pressure on the bolt with the deck bouncing around.

Foremans says that after it bent he continued mowing and then it broke.

I dont believe a word of it....... What do you think?

BrokenBolt.jpg

2. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

When i had my scag, at 900 hrs i broke it. Just looked down and it was in half. No idea how or why, it happens thats all i can attest to not how it happens.

3. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mow some rough properties,ie:bumpy. I don't think your foreman had a whole lot to do with it. Could be a bad lot of bolts.

4. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I would believe if it broke after 900 hours.. but to have it replaced and then break again the next day is out of this world. There are no apparent problems with the deck that would lead it to break again.

5. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey **** happens ! you mean you have NEVER brought something brand new took it home and it didnt work ??? those bolts can have mirco cracks in them from the manfactureing process. you just never know, NOTHING is made to last forever ! you probably just got a couple bad bolts. couple months ago i bought a new cell phone the next day the display stopped working took it back got another one same thing. turns out the whole batch had defects from the manufactureor (sp) got the same phone from a differant batch and works perfect. could be the same with that bolt, you just never know

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I had picked up 6 tire inner valve stems to have. Turns out, before I even needed the 1st one, my dealer calls and said the distributor he got them from recalled them do to a defect and them not holding air. $h!t happens. How many hours does the machine have?

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I just don't see how he could bend or break one of those bolts, much less 2. I have had rough properties that would crack your teeth and didn't do any harm to those bolts. I have hit the deck many times too. Exmark is what I use though

8. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

the way that bolt sits i can see how someone could easily / accidentally step on it , then get worried about losing job so lie about how it happened .

plus the way it looks from pic i dont see how stepping on it would crack / break it , maybe bend it but not break it .

but in the mean time ide be looking to rig up a cover for that bolt so someone doesnt step on it .

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like...sabotage. When I worked for another LCO we would get these 'mysterious' breakages here and there. If your foreman carries a hammer on his truck, I'd make sure and take it out tomorrow...:laugh:

10. JoeKidd

JoeKidd LawnSite Member

Make sure he's not popping wheelies out there. I worked with guy who was the foreman on a mowing crew who would do this crap on a bobcat Z with the barrel grass catcher on the back. He not only broke that bolt but actully cracked the friggin frame on the mower.