Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pogo, Feb 11, 2000.

1. pogo

pogo LawnSite Member

What is a good fair rate to pay a begining foreman? He has been with me now for 8 months and has proved his knowledge and reliability.<br>Thanks<br>Rob
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Well it depends on the market you're in. In our area a employee like that would earn $10-$12 per hour.
  3. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

This is an industry that is behind the times with pay scales. As Lazer said, $10-12/hour is a going rate for a foreman. Compare this with another skilled trade, plumber, electricitian, carpenter, and that is what an apoerntice would make in his 2nd-3rd year. Look at what a foreman makes, and there is a huge difference. Sad to say, but that is why everyone is having difficulties recruting and keeping employees.
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawn Mowing is not a skilled trade. You don't need to be an apprentice for 4 years and then you're a journeyman. I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.<p>What IS a big challenge is that it's seasonal. If you could work at the same level 12 months/year, employment challenges would lessen.
  5. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

hey pogo, noticed that you are in San Antonio when I was in Dallas a year and half ago beginning formans started at about 8 or 9 an hour and worked up to 12 or 13 depending on how many properties they were running a week. <p>----------<br>Dale<br>Southern lawn and Landscape
  6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

My foremen make between $28K - $39K per year.<br>season from March 15th - Dec.15. A starting laborer is $8.00 per hr.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
  7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I was paying $10.00 per hour part time to trim + blow.No one wants to work where they have to swet and get dirty.
  8. pogo

pogo LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your replies. I have been paying my starting laborors at $7.00 and my foreman now makes $9.00. I will bump him up around mid March when things start getting more busy. $9.50 for a couple of weeks then up to $10.00. I always give bonuses when things are running smooth or if I notice good work. Attendance goes a long way with me as well.<br>Thanks<br>Rob