Forest fires part 2

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jun 11, 2013.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Well I'm packing up things now, and might be heading out. I live in Black Forest and there is a huge fire about 3-4 miles away. Watching tv now with homes ablaze, right where I have plenty of customers. Record high temps again, winds blowing like a b!tch. I'm afraid to f@rt outside as I dont want it to cause a blaze. Sumbitch this is not good.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Keep us in touch, Dana. Best, M

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Good luck !

Be safe people and animals first everything else second
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

what he said

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Link is good
    Man that's tough..

Wow.

8. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Seen the news!

Good luck Dana!

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

So from last years fire, I know we had at least 15 customers lose their homes. This one will once again yield a similar report. We have many customers directly in the fires path, and we have worked through there even earlier this week. Initial reports are 80-100 homes gone, but the sun is just coming up, so no hard numbers yet. One customer in the direct path even called me yesterday morning before the fire, letting me know she sold the house and was passing on our info to the new owners.

We are about one mile from the west edge of the evac zone, but the fire is moving to the east due to the high winds (which have currently died down). So far we are safe, but conditions are ripe for it to flare and spread again, or even another fire could start. All vehicles are packed up with essentials, and my GF flies to Florida today for a conference so she will miss any excitement.

And people wonder why their grass is dieing here :dizzy: So damn dry and hot, and no rain in sight. Wheat farmers are devastated this year. Once again, I need to find a new profession. Maybe that crossing guard photo that Mike posted is the right idea.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Hopefully you have a proper fire break. I might even go so far to have sprinklers on the roof so you can wet down the roof and immediate landscape.