1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Forest fires part 2

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Bummer, hope the wind changes directions.

2. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

fingers crossed for you.

if i was the praying type i would be doing that too.

good luck.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Worst thing we could hear came true. Two lives lost. Such a sad day.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Dam

Did you know them?

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

No names given yet. Sad to hear it. Once I learned that they lost their lives, it finally hit home. I'm trying to have a humorous attitude, but that brought me down a notch.

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you heard if they were firefighters or residents that decide to stay and fight?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  7. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I should have researched my above question. Residents were found in a garage with the car door open- as if they were loading. Very sad.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

This should be my last post on this. Fire is now 85% contained, 509 homes lost so far with more coming, 2 lives lost, 1200+ firefighters combined were here fighting it. I was evacuated last Thursday morning, and was able to return late Friday. No damage and far enough away (2 miles or so) that there was not any smoke damage. My buddy was renting the home that he lived in, and has another home he owns that he will move back to. But photos and memories are gone. Pipe puller may be a goner, not sure yet. I have heard speculation as to the cause, but I won't disclose it. All I will say is it may be accidental by a piece of machinery.

This fire danger will now be the new normal as our weather patterns have changed the last 10-12 years. I have 8 trees close to my house that need to be removed, but I still live in a forest, and the house can still go up in flames no matter how much mitigation we do. But, if my house has a defensible space, and the neighbor's do not, the firefighters will spend more effort to save mine, or so I have been told.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I am happy to hear that you and yours made it through the firestorm Dana.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I'm glad to hear the house made it through OK.

A few years ago, before our bad drought, we had a fire started near a piece of property we own in South Texas by hot ball bearings on a tractor that was shredding a field. When things get really crispy, it doesn't take much to set them ablaze.