Forfeit $1700.grass allowance ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastlane, Jan 17, 2003.

1. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a new house. The builder has a contract with lanscaper- $1700.allowance for finish grading and grass. Would cover front two sides and about 50 feet behind house(about 12,000sq.ft.) I would have to pay for more. Another acre is rough graded. I plan on 2 to 3 acres of grass. I plan on doing this myself. Should I have lanscaper do 12,000 sq ft at rear of lot 600 feet from house or foreit $1700.? I tried to get plants ,shrubs ect. but he said grass or nothing.(he gets his $1700) I think he is mad I'm moving into "his" area.

2. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

Fastlane,
    When I had my house built ('93, Hanover, PA) the builder wanted 7 cents a sq ft for fine grade and seed. My lot is .99 acres or about 42k sq ft. I passed on his offer. I showed up when they did the rough grading with the intention of "greasing" the dozer operator. I explained to him I was doing the fine grade myself and could he "assist" me with doing a good job. The guy used a Cat 9 and got w/in 6" of the house! He did a fantastic job that took 10 hours. I had to fight w/ him to not get reimbursed for a soda! Needless to say, I never had to pay him. I then got in touch with a local farmer and had 100 bales of straw delivered for $1.15 a bale. I bought 600 lbs of seed, 1800 lbs of pellet lime and 600 lbs of 10-10-10 fertilizer from a local feed store. I used a Montgomery Ward 10 hp tractor to drag pull a 6X6 and hand raked/seeded etc./mulch the entire yard over 4 days. My yard looked better (We did this in August) than any yard in the neighborhood and cost me $750.00.

Knowing what I know now, I would have rented some equipment and done the job faster, but....

Good luck,
    Joe

3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a take it or leave it, take it. Why forfeit that much work and dollars.

If you can get the price reduced, maybe you should take the reduction and do it yourself.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A D9 on a less than an acre lot??? A D9 takes up almost that much room...LOL. That I would have loved to see personally.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would let them do it, but stress to them that you are a professional in this field and so you expect nothing but a good quality job.

6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Your builder is in the business to make money. He probably doesn't pay the entire $1700 to the CONTRACTED landscaper. He gets profit from each service or upgrade. He knows what his landscaper who is CONTRACTED can do. Let them do thier thing and then you can take over.

7. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

Rodfather,
    Shocked the s^^t out of me when it showed up. I was talking to the guy that owned the excavating co. while this guy was grading. He said the machine broke and the guy would not come to work until it was fixed. It is the only machine he would use!

8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Delete it from your building contract. Why would you sign your sales agreement if you didn't want it?

9. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

I'm buying this house from the builder.$25,000 under market value and no realtor fees. Builder(going out of buss.) can't get out of $1700 contract with his landscaper.