1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Forget about it!

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by bdemir, Mar 14, 2001.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Every lawn customer i talk to has someone doing there snow for 100 to 150 per season. How the hell are you supposed to make money doing this. I need to have 100 driveways just ot make 10k. Im in michigan. I think that i will not plow residential at all next year and if i dont get any commercial i will not plow at all.

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

You get what you pay for - perhaps customer dissatisfaction with the service provided by the "lowball" bidder will provide you with opportunities for next season. Don't lower your standards!
  3. bdemir

Thanks for the advice. Seems like all the customers are disatisfied but they all expect great service for 100 a drive. Thats when i tell them how much the equipment and the insurance costs. I hate having to go through this.

4. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

Look at it this way. For a 30' drive a kid with a snow shovel is going to charge the people at least $20.00 per event. If you expect more than 5 events you are already over the $100.00 mark. These people are not dealing with reality. Especially in your market area.

Just my 2 cents worth.

5. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

Bedros, I'm finding the same thing here. Too many plowjockeys out there willing to beat up their equipment pushing 14" for $25/driveway. I'm going to try for one private road with six drives next winter. Other than that, I'm making serious plans to concentrate on sanding. The jockeys don't have sanders because of the financial commitment in equipment, material and storage. I've already contacted salt and sand suppliers. I have the buildings and space. I'm going to start a marketing campaign early in the year and follow the snowplows/snowblowers etc. Forget plowing; find a need and fill it. Good Luck.

6. bdemir

And i thought maine was where its a little better considering there is so much snow to plow. I thought they make out considering it snows so much there. All i know is i am not buying a 30k truck to plow a drive for 8 bucks. No way not in this lifetime. I already learned my lessons in the lawncare business and i dont think i will lowball my self like everyone here does. What a shame. Considering i live in the second richest county in all of america. First is orange county in california and thats even a worse lowball market. Maybe i need to move to a lower income where the competition is less. I talked to a guy who is 20 miles from me and he says its a lot higher where he is. WHere i am is higher income. GO figure.

7. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

I see the same thing around here. I have driveways that range from $150 - $250 a year. I'm hard pressed to get the money out of some of them. I tell someone 200 for the season and they look at me like I have 3 heads. Then they complain and want someone to shovel around their car. They don't understand what a truck siting in their driveway for 10 minuites while someone clears the steps and around a car and infront of the garage is worth. Best driveway is someone waving with $30 in hand and grateful to have their car out of the driveway. Only one I'll ever touch after this season.
  8. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD LawnSite Member

Mine are this way $25 for the first hit and you get a clean up it. Then if i have to come back again it is anothere $25. After last weeks storm they were all up to a 100 each. it works for me.
  9. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

$100 - $150 Per Season - Give me their numbers!!!! I'll subcontract all my work out to them and go on vacation for the winter!!!!! That's an outrageously low price. I'm over on the other side of town and seasonal contracts (residential) run $400-$550 around here - (average of about 20 companies I know of). Per time/push contracts are $35-50. You gotta just stick to those types of prices and sell the service not the price. I mean for $150 what kind of service can these people be getting? I feel for you - those prices are way out of line. It's gotta get better.
  10. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Where I'm at all residentials are per push and are a pain. Look to the commercials and sell your service as one of a full time service provider. There are a lot of guys whoplow before they go to work so they can make a little extra $ to pay for that $30K truck, and thats okay in my book. But yiur commercials will feel better knowing that if they need snow moved at 3AM or 11Am or 6PM they will have YOU at their site.