Forgot to run lawnmoer dry....help?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mwalz, Jan 15, 2014.

1. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok so i just realized i did not run my mower dry before winter.....i guess i had a brain fart when i put it away.....anyways it is a 15hp Kholer engine. Toro 36" wb. Should i go run it dry? I realize it has already been exposed to cold temps out in the shed, but is it a good idea to start it now? The temp today is about 30 degrees. Temps won't be steadily warm til probably mid march.

2. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Drain the gas out. Put a little fresh gas in with stabil. Run it and then shut off the has and let the carb dry itself out. Although at this time you probably could just let that sta-biled gas sit in the carb. Supposed to keep it fresh for like 3-6 months. Running it with the old gas may make things worse.

3. mwalz

Ok, i put a good amount a stabil in when i put it away. I will probably just wait til march when i start cutting to get it ready for the season

4. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Should be fine with Sta-bil. Just fire it up a little early and if it doesnt work just have the carb rebuilt. Make sure to beat the spring rush.

5. S&S Lawn ServiceLLC

S&S Lawn ServiceLLC LawnSite Member

I use to run all my stuff dry but after a little research I dont worry with it anymore,I just fire it all up a few times during the off season and haven't had any troubles during mowing season.Just my input.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. mwalz

So would it be wise to run it? I have done it with push mowers before and never had a problem, but not with my wb....i guess why i was asking because i was a little worried.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get out there weekly and run all equipment during winter.

8. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

I will run everything every couple of weeks during the off season.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

fuel wont break down very fast at all in cold weather several mo. in the cold is no worry. it breaks down much faster in hot weather

10. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do this, you won't have to add chemicals to the gas and no problems in the spring.