Forgot to Send Billings

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by NBI Lawn, Jan 4, 2008.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

I was going through some of my last billings and found some I forgot to send from October/November :hammerhead:. Do I just send them or should I put something in with the bill apologizing for being so late?

What would you say if you put something in with them :confused:? I am leaning towards that because I feel like a bum for being late.

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you could away play the "post office game"

Send the invoice and then a little note "I notice that I have not seen payment for this invoice, and I'm sure it was just overlooked or misplaced with all the commotion around the holidays."

Nothing is a lie... and you are not placing any blame...

Or..."I was going through my quarterly statements and I noticed that this invoice never got sent out. Please accept my apologies for getting this invoice to you so late."

either way I you'll be ok. Its an easy mistake to make...and most people realize that we are human and not perfect.

3. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

I like Marc's idea of blaming it on the mail contact the accounts with a friendly reminder that the invoices have not been paid and you were wondering why?.

4. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

yeah I would blame the post office, they have lost a few of my checks this year

5. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

What's wrong with calling them and explaining you missed them. They will like your honesty.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I still like the "I notice that I have not seen payment for this invoice, and I'm sure it was just overlooked or misplaced with all the commotion around the holidays." not a single lie or missreprestnation. You have not recieved a payment for the invoice. and it was overlooked or misplaced...you just never said by whom...:)

Still nothing wrong with honesty either. its not like you are trying to send them a bill from a year ago...or hood wink them....

7. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Marc actually no misrepresentation or lies actually they were overlooked just not saying who overlooked them.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, don't blame it on the mail that's just going to open up that can of worms...
    Next thing you know you'll have customers blaming their late payments on that :nono:
    Yeah that ain't gonna work out so good, I don't think.

I would just say I forgot to send them, or send them and say nothing...
    Or you can choose to say they were misplaced somehow, yup.

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Mark this thread as one to return and read, when a new thread is started about professionalism and "why we, as LCOs, don't get the respect we deserve." Those kind of threads appear quite often, and many posts try to explain and provide answers. This thread, plus many others, will help provide the answer.

Have we sunk this low that we cannot accept the responsibility for our mistakes? This seems to be the new American way, "... I do not want to be responsible for my actions, ... my task is to find somebody else to assign blame, ... I am a victim, I only need to find the other party that put me in my predicament."

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with roger. why try to overthink this? its not like they don't owe the money anyway. most people are short on money around christmas anyway.