1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Former Customer Accuses me of stealing his lawnmower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beaver, Nov 9, 2004.

1. beaver

beaver LawnSite Member

About a 2 months ago we cut a former customers lawn for the last time, he has a 2 cycle toro that is almost identical to mine except that it has different handle bars and a smaller gas tank
    we dropped him because he owed us a debt of 100 dollars and that we noticed that his car had been reposessed

He is now saying that we swapped lawnmowers because he broke the connector on the gas tank and does not want to have it replaced and he doesnt remember seeing a repair tag on the handles and the bag was always hard to put on the chute and now it seems easier

My question is this

In order for him to prove that he stole it wouldnt he have to tell us the serial number of the mower that he is convinced is his?

My toro mower i was given to us by a customer that no longer needed it and did not come with any reciepts. The customer who gave it to me is the next door neighbor to the chief of police who could probably identify it if the need if the need arose

Thank you
  2. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

ignore him. he is a loser
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Tell him to call the police. The burden of proof is on him, he has none.

Then when it's all over, go there and steal his lawnmower to make up for the $100.

No, not really. Don't do that.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

From where I'm sitting, seems to me this could possibly get real ugly, real quick for YOU. Better 'bluff' this guy quick since yours was given to you.

Tell him "go ahead and make a fool of yourself buddy. I have all my paperwork and the serial numbers on my mower are registered with Toro, as well as my insurance company."

If he really does believe you have 'swaped' with him and calls your bluff, I am sure the serial numbers being registered with Toro for warranty purposes would clear you anyways. But I'd 'bluff' to avoid the hassle personally. He's probably just trying to jerk you around.
  5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

only thing i would do is say "call the police" as you have nothing to prove to him. it's 100% on him. if you want to be especially accomodating, and if you've got a phone book in your truck, offer to look the number up for him, and hand him your cell phone.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if he really owed you a hundred skins, why didn't you just "borrow" his lawnmower? I'd call it even-steven!

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

there you have it, the boys in blue suggesting you steal his lawnmower. pathetic, first not paying on a losing bet, now telling you to steal. shame on you, no wonder everyone hates cops
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

what's the problem, WEASEL? isn't the toro worth a hundred skins? LOL!

GEO :waving:
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

they'd have to pay me to take the toro.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

It would have to be a 1970 Bobcat for Bob to be interested!