1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Former Customer, You take them back??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ric, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Because of Selling my route several years ago I have not advertised or contacted my old customers. But I just had a call from former customer who wanted me Back. The last time we parted was because I sold my route and had a one year no compete. But maybe that is not the whole story about her. This will be the 4th time I picked up this customer. We parted once because she cancelled and once because I quit her. So I am the sucker here I guess. But I also must look at the Dynamics of Word Of Mouth. She lives on a Salt Water Canal in a Country Club Neighbor were people talk to each other a lot. She heard from another customer I was working part time and only taking on a few account. I took her Back over the phone and now I am wondering if taking back this particular customer was a wise choice.
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

You've been in the application business as long as you claim to have been in it and don't know how to handle a simple scenario like the one you mentioned? Why Ric. I'm shocked at you! This is exactly the kind of question you'd climb all over someone else for asking. You snapped at PHS in the "laptop" thread for asking a question that wasn't any simpler than the one you just asked, yet you'll cry to the high-heavens about me calling you out on this elementary question you asked.

I think it's hilarious how you despise being treated like you treat others in this forum. As soon as you stop snapping at members, my posts like this one I directed at you will stop. Shame on you.
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Wow Victoria

You seem to be stalking my every post. May I suggest you get a Life of your own and only reply if you have something of value to say.
  4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

The first question sounds a bit like a BG thread...

From the history of things it looks like it keeps going round and round and round.
  5. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Well Ric,
    I would say give her a chance. As long as you don't think that it will create any weirdness with the guy you sold the route to and you believe that it will be worth it. (Money-wise) I certainly wouldn't travel any distance for one account, but if you pass it everyday anyway...why not pick it back up?
    Does it look bad? What are her expectations? You know what i'm getting at.
    Oh and thanks for the laugh victor, although i disagree...all i have to say is grain of salt.
  6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Ric, really only two questions here -
    1. Are you past the no compete date - from reading your post I wasn't sure.
    2. Why not renew with this customer - you know her eccentricities, she knows yours - living in a nice community with the potential for decent word of mouth advertising may mean additional work for you.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Honda D

No problem with the Idiot I sold too. He has lost many of the customer already and she was with another service provider any way. Like many of my Customers they are a retired couple and have the Boat rusting at the Dock that get cleaned every week by a Boat Detailer. A Group of Citrus trees to feed the Rats and a Sparkling clean swimming pool that gets used every 3 years when the Grand Kids come to visit. But part of keeping up with the Jone's is a Dark Green Lawn and over planted shrubs. They can be demanding at times.

Yes I already took her back this morning. So I am now wondering if I did the right thing.

BTW I ride a Shadow. Something tells me you are more a Gull Wing type Guy.

Non Compete is over a year past the date. I am now just working Part time, more to have a Reason to get out of bed in the morning than to make a living. The Money does help me do thing I couldn't afford to do with out working (like eating). I actually had planned to do nothing but Ant Kill when I went back to work. But without advertising I am only getting Fert & Squirt work.

In Edit

If I am forwarding Too Many E mail Jokes to you let me Know. Seems like I get 20 a day and forward the better one to you.
  8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Ric you seem comfortable with the deal. You will have to be the judge of whether its the right decision or not.

To have something to do seems to be a good thing.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have lived in Retirement Ville too long to totally sit and do nothing. Those who stay active seem to live longer and have happier lives.
  10. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

I think you did the right thing ,as long as the checks have been good .everybody should have a couple cantankerous ,hard headed, argumentitve customers .If nothing else for entertainment value.I love going toe to toe with tightwads,pissed off at the world customers.They will flag me down ,whine about green up ,dry spots ,ect,ect.I like manually turning on their irragation in dry zones,dragging out their hoses and sprinklers, offer to schedule a irragation calibration ,giving them basic I.P.M. solutions . Make sure include such statement as (If you can not afford it),(If it is not in your budget.).Have some fun .Just dont take too many on.