1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Bob Shoaff, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Bob Shoaff

Bob Shoaff LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone has a formula for figuring how far a ton of rock would spread or a ton of soil....I am assuming there is some simple formula to get a close idea that I am just not thinking of...Thanks..

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I dont remember where this came from but another thread on lawnsite..... One yard of mulch, soil, etc with cover 640 sq feet at 1/2" deep, 320 sqft @ 1" , 160 sq ft @ 2" , 92 sq ft @ 3", 69 sq ft @ 4" and so on and so on.....

Also.... at 1" depth.... 1000 sq ft with require 3.13 yards, etc etc,

Wish I had a formula for this.. just have the answers..LOL
  3. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

The stone will depend on the size you're working with because a smaller stone will give better coverage than a large one. A yard of topsoil is about 1.25 ton (dry)and will cover about 324sf at 1".
  4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Since the weight of rock varies according to the type of rock, ask your quarry. Here, we can figure that a ton of #57 will cover 100 sq feet, 2" deep. You may get more or less, so just ask. I've found that the guys at the quarries are accustomed to answering such questions.