1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

formulas for weed eating sq. ft and edging per foot?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hermanator, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

Hey guys... I have a new one... is there some formulas that you use for figuring quotes based on sq. footage for weed eating and per foot for edging... thanx in advance!
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say the best way to figure this fore one's own self is too go to an area you can "test" with a measured size of say 100 feet .... do the job .... time it .... compare it to ones own hourly cost n ya got a real number which you can confirm ... do this a couple of time in other areas ... mix up the results ..... get an "average" time n off ya go
  3. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, what he ^^^ said, that's the only way. off memory 10 cents a yard worked out ok....I think?? lol. I charge 2 bucks a minute for trim work.
  4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

We do not weed eat sq. ft. We only have to string trim a 1/2" line along foundations - our mowers get into the corners to eliminate sq. ft. string trimming.
  5. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

thanx... same here for most areas. this one is to steep to mow and rough. must be line trimmed. some guys must have prices per sq. fott for this type of area? several of our properties have areas that can't be mowed, but very small.
  6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

length times width
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I have formulas for linear footage trimming and edging...

But I don't have formulas per say for mowing banks and such with a trimmer.

I do enough of this work that I just figure the mowing, trimming and edging, then throw on an extra weekly amount for mowing with the trimmer. In other words I know about how long such a place will take me and I charge through the nose for it. I go $1-$2 per minute depending on volume and site difficulty... and I guess some of that comes from the fact that "I" am doing it personally.