Forsythia removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by noiseyvoyzey, Apr 16, 2004.

1. noiseyvoyzey

noiseyvoyzey LawnSite Member

A customer of mine as a row of forsythias 80 ft long seperating his and the neighbors property, he asked me to remove them and replace with hemlocks. The forsythias are monsters they are 2 feet wide at the base. They are about 10 feet tall. I am assuming they root structure must be pretty well developed. Anyone have any suggestions how I should handle this project? I was think about a chain and the chevy and just rip em right outta there.

2. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

wait till the ground is soft after a rain and try that chevy chain and rip method...wish I could be there.

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a fairly large job. Would it be possible to rent a skid steer for a day to pluck them out. Mite save your truck some abuse and reduce tearing up the yard some.

4. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

Stupm grinder maybe.

5. noiseyvoyzey

Do you think that would be cost effective? I didnt give him a qoute yet so i would be able for figure the rental into the price. Not quite sure what I should charge him.

6. twoowls

twoowls LawnSite Member

I would suggest a tow rope if your gonna do it with the chevy! I had a chain break on me and you better watch out when it snaps back, it can do some damage to the truck or anyone near. Just my experiance.

7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Forsythia removal -- Dont use your truck (that has scrub written all over it).... Build an estimate and present it to the prospective customer (if you do not have the proper equipment buy or rent it).
    Good Luck

BobR

8. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Rent a mini excavator for the day. Goes for $155 a half day here in the northeast. Factor in your time and disposal costs as well and you're good to go!

Mike

9. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with BobR, still like to watch though. A four inch strap wrapped a few times should grip them.

They don't have a very strong root system, I dug up 8 ten yr old forsythias by hand in about 5 hours, weak stuff.

10. noiseyvoyzey

It does look bad, but I bet it would be fun :)