1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fortune Small Biz LCO article

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tonygreek, Feb 24, 2005.

1. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, that was a good article. Thanks!

4. Tom Gs

Tom Gs LawnSite Member
    from canada

I'm not impressed at all buy this/his story.
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not impressed with his story either. If anything, it's a good example of how not to run a business and luck into it. But it is a good learning tool for what not to do, and things to think of that are often overlooked. The input from the consultants they brought in to help him also give great insight and information that comes from an outside perspective. That is what makes the article good and informative in my opinion. The lco seems a bit toolish (no offense). But considering he's a Spartan, it's not that suprising.

6. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Not impressed either, but thanks for posting never the less.

I think he sounds like he is 15 not 29 to be quite honest.
  7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I think what has to be realized is that in life, you simply do not learn by only looking at successful businesses, or people. You can actually learn more from how others have failed, and learning from their errors. I found it to be a good read. I am familiar with the area, and there is a TON of money up there. Like he even says himself, he has lost a lot of money due to his own errors. His company has potential to probably gross 25% more than he does now, not doing any more work, but simply by improving documentation, and work orders. The little things is what it is about. And just because he's losing out on $100,000 on a job, doesn't mean it's a bigger deal than you losing $100 on a job. It's all relative. As a smaller LCO, or whatever business, every dollar is important, and good practice leads to higher profits.
    Thanks for the article!
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi tonygreek,

Great find and thanks for sharing it with us. Good point Twins.