1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Forum Etiquette~~~~following Up On Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Jun 19, 2001.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I've really started noticing a trend lately, it goes something like this: often someone will ask a question on the forums, hoping to get an answers (I assume) from the members. Soooo, a member signs on, reads your question and takes the time to answer your question. That same member checks back the following day and finds the tread you started on page 3 of the forum with no follow-up from the starter - YOU. The person may post on topic again so it makes it too the top in hopes you see it again. As for what we know, you never visited your thread again and have moved on!

Please take the time to follow-up on threads that you start, give rebuttal, questions, or if the problem is finalized then let everyone know "thanks, problem solved".

I'm just amazed how often a thread gets started and the person who started it never looks at it again. I know of 5 threads right now that have been answered days or weeks ago but are unacknowledged by the thread starter.

It's simple courtesy, please use a little!
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Speaking of courtesy, how about a subject line that will mean something when it turns up in a search? "Ouch" "Whoa" and the like are ignored by myself and undoubtedly others.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with both of you on this. I am not sure some new members that post here realize the amount of posts this forum gets and their posts gets bumped down the the 3rd page in no time and then they can't find it. Good posts guys. I am going to add what I had stuck at the top and stick this one for a few days so members can read all of this.

Search Page Working Again

I fixed all the links on the search page for LawnSite this morning. I don't know why the links quit working, but they did.

If you members would look at the 76 topics I have on that page and use words in your thread topic that are the same as one of those, it will show up in the searches from this page.

Bad Example: I have a question about a mower.

Good Example: I have a question about an Exmark ZTR Deck.
    Doing it this way, it will show up under Exmark, deck or ZTR.

The bad example, it won't show up at all in this search page.

If you find any links that do not work or would like to see more links, add them here and I will work on it when I get a chance.
    I hope this page helps, it takes a lot of time to do, so please use it.

To get to it, click the blinking gif below and click on LawnSite Links. If you like it, save the URL for my site.
  4. Stormchaser

Stormchaser LawnSite Member

Acknowledged. Had not realized it was discourteous.
  5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if there are any that I left unanswered that were begun by me but I will be sure not to in the future.
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

In some eyes maybe it's not, I might be wrong, that has happened before.:rolleyes: Some threads may not require follow-up, but threads that are asking questions or seeking help should. To me it's like calling someone and asking a question, they get back and leave you a messgage that answers your question, a simple reply if you question has been answered would help, that way people don't continue anwering the question.

Where this is really noticable is when for example, I ask the thread starter a question wanting more information about their question, they never answer our questions back. This shows they either do not look at their thread or they just don't want to take the time to answer the question.

7. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry guys, i realized that i left a couple of threads open, after reading responses. I just closed them with the "thanks for the help" comment, and now my name is on the first 3 threads as you sign in! haha,,, well, anywho.. thanks
  8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

My favorite is the guy who asked a question after stating he was totally lost on the subject then argued with everyone who bothered to answer him.

Wonder if he's done with his IRS audit yet?
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Speaking for myself, sometimes I ask a question, but often don't respond if the question was answered. I certainly don't mean to be rude, it was actually more about saving space on the forum and for those that have notices sent to thier e-mail.

I usually will add a "thank you for all the great info here on lawnsite" at the end of some of my posts/questions. Or a "thanks in advance", to save adding a whole seperate post for a "thanks!".

But believe me, I read ALL repsonses to my questions, eagerly!!! :)
  10. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I agree this is a good topic. The thing that bothers me is when they don't reply when there are questions about their problem. Eric I know I have asked questions that I could of looked on your page before, but didn't realize it until recently, sorry.