Forum newbie, have some questions to bring me up to date

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bash, Sep 13, 2003.

1. bash

bash LawnSite Member

Hello guys and gals..

I have been out of the lawn care industry for close to 10 years now, so a lot of things have changed. If you will, please consider my questions and let me learn from your experience.

I moved to a new house and now find myself with about 2.5 acres to mow compared to just one up until now. I currently have an older Scag Super Z 48" with a 16hp B&S. It cuts well, but is a little slow.

My property is just about all located on a hillside and isn't the smoothest of terrain either. Going about as fast as the lil' 16 horse will pull, I can get the mowing done in just under 2 hours when I mow side to side. Mowing up and down the hill puts quite a bit more strain on the mower and slows it down. (The picture gives a vague view of the hillside that I mow. ) I would hope that some of the newer mowers could beat that time by quite a bit, but haven't done a lot any time trials. I am considering a couple of different mowers, so please give your opinion on if they sound like a good deal or not.

One mower that I'm looking at is a 2001 Scag Turf Tiger 61" with the 27 HP liquid cooled Kawasaki. Used privately only, 185 hours. The asking price is $6500, I think I can get it for $6250.

The other mower that I'm considering is a Grasshopper 721D 60" with about 1850 hours on it, including the hopper bagger. Firm price $4000.

I have an offer of $2000 for my Super Z with about 500 hours on it. Is this a generous offer? What improvements can I expect out of scag's newer products vs the grasshopper?

Lastly, would I be better served to just put a 20hp+ motor on my Scag and keep it? Is there any way to smooth out the ride, for example, any engineered seats or so forth?

For the record, when I was in lawn care, my favorite mower of all time was a Kubota FZ2100 ( a diesel, front deck, 4wd - zero turn mower). It was only one of two that I ever saw. The cushy ride was so nice compared to my Super Z that jars me to death.[​IMG]

Any suggestions on what to do?

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2001 turf tiger 27/61,the only complaint I have is-it rides rough.It cuts well at high speed,but it will beat your eyes out.I wouldn't pay 6500 for it.
    I wouldn't pay 4000 for a wore out hopper either.
    Look at lazer hp,and hustler mini about a 23/52 in each.I think their both under 7k,I don't think you could wear out either one.
    2000 for that old scag--at least kiss him...

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

2 hours is really not that bad.. in my opinion.

Maybe you should demo some of the newest out front deck mowers. They are pretty efficient, nice ride and more attachments. Maybe a 72" Steiner or a Hustler Excell model.

4. J D CRUSTA

J D CRUSTA LawnSite Member

bash, I once owned a Kubota FZ2100, and you are right, they are rare. (Sold it a few months ago) Had a large hydraulic dump hopper, zero turn, auto-assist 4 wd. A very nice machine. True zero turn with the steering wheel. The interesting thing about the FZ2100 is that the zero turn pedal released power to the front tires and shifted it to the rear. Almost impossible to create ruts like you will with tires rotating in opposite directions.

5. J D CRUSTA

bash, heres a pic of the machine you're talking about

copy of kubotafz2100.jpg

6. bash

bash LawnSite Member

J D CRUSTA,

What does a used FZ sell for now? The people that I sold mine to ended up haveing trouble with the ring gear used for steering in the rear, but I think that was due to abuse. Did you have any trouble with yours?

Lawn-Scapes,
    So you think 2 hours is about right, then a more efficient machine wouldn't really make a dramatic difference? It'd be hard to justify being out of pocket a few thousand only to save maybe 15 hours a year from mowing my one.

7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Bash, this year I got a new Hustler Super Mini Z 52"/25 Hp for $6800 and that model has adjustable springs in the seat to set your ride confort level. It also has the Donaldson air filter system and very good 2 year warranty/1200 hours on the mower. It can go to 3 year warranty I believe if you have not made it to 1200 hours. Also has lifetime warranty on the deck/frame.

Start demoing since there are plenty of good models.

8. J D CRUSTA

bash, I've seen 3 on the market around here including mine, all with 1300-1600 hrs, and the price ranged from $7000-$11000. The ring gear (and assembly) is very heavy and would be difficult to damage under normal use. I had no problems with it.

9. grasshopper head

grasshopper head LawnSite Member

old hoppers , you have to check out well , every one unhooks the hour meters on their machines for trade in reasons so hours on meter is ifey . I run 10 grasshoppers they are big heavy machines , only run a diesel never buy a gasoline machine of any kind period.