found a new blower...is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jdwells, May 8, 2006.

1. jdwells

jdwells LawnSite Member

I had my blower stolen last week, and have been looking at the echo bp 650. I've called a few dealers and they seem to be selling for around $500 give or take. My question is that I've found one for sale new for just over $400. Course it's online, but I wanted to see what others thought about it. I really am wanting to know if it's too good to be true, or a great deal. If a good deal, are there any benefits to having the throttle on the left side, or do most people like it on the tube side? After searching the forum, it seems I shouldn't have any complaints from this model performance wise. Any input would be greatly appreciated...JD

2. jdwells

jdwells LawnSite Member

anyone have any thoughts on my post? any help at all would be appreciated!

3. burroughslawnservice

burroughslawnservice LawnSite Member

Let your local ECHO dealership know you've been shopping on-line and give them the opportunity to come close to the price your seeing online. Your better off getting it locally. I'm surprised more people haven't jumped all over you for thinking of purchasing from an on-line dealer. Do what you feel is best. I'd prefer to purchase locally myself, even if it was a little more money. But $100 is enough for me to shop somewhere else.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

We're all just ignoring him like his Echo dealer will do if the unit ever needs warranty service since it likely will not be a registered unit when he buys it online. There is another thread here somewhere that somebody had a problem like that where Echo said it wasn't a registered unit and they were not going to warranty the unit.

5. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

6. opher

opher LawnSite Member

I purchased one almost 2 yrs ago, and is the best blower I have owned. Be carefull it will sometimes up-root grass if you are too close to the ground with it. works very well with wet leaves also. I paid around $ 550 for it.

:weightlifter: opher

7. jdwells

jdwells LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, although it's hard to get advice when I'm being ignored. :dizzy: I did actually consider the warranty issue, and confronted the seller about it. He said to simply register the unit online, which Echo does have a place to do that. But he also said he's not a dealer, which also causes concern. If you know where that thread is, please post a link. I like the idea of asking the local dealer to match, or at least come close to the price. And I would rather buy locally, but $100 is basically 20% off retail...hard to pass up. But I'm also not looking to get everyone up in arms, I just need some advice.

BTW, I don't own a landscape company, I'm just a homeowner that likes to buy quality things. I know this blower is more than I need, although I do have a decent sized lot, but when I get an idea I can't help myself. I've been reading this site for a week straight learning what people that do this for a living prefer to use, and I've finally made up my mind. Now I just need to know that I'm getting a decent deal. So, should I worry that by buying online could void the warranty? Considering my $100 Poulan was going on 4 yrs before it was stolen, I would think a commercial grade blower should last double that time only using it in a residential setting. Any ideas? And thanks for taking the time to reply.

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You're going to do what you're going to do. But, if the guy is not even an Echo dealer, I'd have to really ask myself where is he even getting the blower from. Also, only equipment purchased from an Authorized Echo dealer (or Home Cheapo) is eligible for warranty service. As far as the Echo stance on online purchases, I do not believe that it is permitted. But, I am not an Echo dealer, so you will have to wait on a response from somebody that is.

9. jdwells

jdwells LawnSite Member

Well, after thinking about this and making a bunch of phone calls, I ended up buying a new PB-751T from my local dealer for $450.00. The PB-650 was on ebay for $409, so for an extra $41 bucks I got the big boy, plus the warranty. And I even patronized the local guy! I just brought it home, where I'm writing this, and all I can say is WOW! I never knew a blower could have so much power. Anyways, thanks for your replies...this is a great website, and I'll use it before I buy my next mower! JD