Found a Trimmer on the Road

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Aug 9, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

While visiting my niece, 25 miles away in another state, I came across a trimmer lying on the side of a country backroad. I thought, hey this makes up for my blower getting stolen 2 weeks ago. It turns out it is an Echo 210. I hate Echos. Its in pretty bad shape , but it did start after about 20 attempts. Too bad it wasn't a Shindaiwa.

2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

HEY! I lost that last week! :D :D

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That's probably why you found it along side the road bob.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

LOL :laugh: No doubt!

5. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

seriously, why dont you guys like echos?

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

No adjustment on the carb...won't cold start for anything. And I have been running Echos for 9 years straight now. Think I might change next year???

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ever since home dumpho has taken on the echo line and made them cheapen up the stuff to sell it at low prices it has just gone down the drain. it wont be to long and echo will go under due to lack of interest in the professional market.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's unlikely Echo will go under because of lack of sales to professionals. As long as places like The Home Depot continue to sell Echo they have nothing to worry about.

I have read that homeowners make up as much as 65% of the commercial ZTR market. I do know of at least 1 Dixie dealer who's sales are about 90% homeowner and he outsells everybody else in the state.

9. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

The FACT is (if facts even matter to you) that the products that are sold in HD are EXACTLY the same as they have always been, save for the CARB and EPA changes. Home Depot doesn't "make" anyone cheapen their product........one thing that differentiates HD and Lowe's from the big box discounters is that they offer a top of the line brand in almost all of their categories. FACT is, there are other big OPE two cycle companies who would LOVE to be in Home Depot.......one of the names would surprise a lot of people, based on their current ad campaign.

Another FACT: Echo still sells more trimmers to the commercial trade than any of it's competitors....not even close.

10. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Echo just done a better of job of marketing, that's the only reason they out sell everyone else. It's not quality.