Found a Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewE, Dec 22, 2003.

1. AndrewE

AndrewE LawnSite Member

The other day I went up to the dealer and demoed a Bobcat and Toro. I'm 98% sure I'm going to buy the Toro. It was a 17hp Kawi, 44' cut, T-bar, Floating deck, belt drive. This is a great machine for my first commercial mower. The price was $3699. Which I thought was good.

Question: I'm going to buy a sulky or something like that. I dealer sells Velky's two wheel for $299 which I thought was high but I don't know. Also what about the sulky that Toro makes that looks real good but I don't know the price.

On Jan.19 he is having a show and I'm going to most likely buy it then. BTW the dealer is great.

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Buy your Sulkys Half Price on ebay

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Andrew,

If that machine is a belt drive, IMHO, not only will Bobcat beat the price for their 48" mower, but their unit is much better hands down.

4. AndrewE

AndrewE LawnSite Member

The Botcat was $500 dollars more for the same thing. And the controls are not where as good.

5. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

What a rip off, I have a 52 hydo Wb with a sulky for $4000, its a Lesco. And id put that machine up against any.

6. MIMAINTAINCE

MIMAINTAINCE LawnSite Member

I have a 54" Bobcat belt drive walk behind 17hp Kawasaki w/ sulky and think it is great machine. It is my only and first w/b I bought it used last year at an auction and love it. The only thing i dont like is its a fixed deck. It actually does well in wet grass until the belts get really what. what deck size and engine was on the bobcat u demoed? weatherman is right. buy ur sulky off ebay for cheap. The only performance issue I have w/ it is it doesnt handle thick grass well at all. It clumps badly. But overall it is great!

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get the Hydro with the 15hp Kohler- We bought ours for less than the one you're looking at. 15 horse is plenty of power IMHO for a 44" Deck. The Hydro is much more efficient than belt drive and if you're going to use a sulky-much easier. Good choice with the Toro though, pistol grips are not as easy as the T-Bar.

8. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I am about to purchase a new WB. I got a price of $3900 for a Gravely Pro H 15Hp 48" w/mulch kit. This mower is a hydro. Their belt drives are even cheaper.

9. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

Imho i would get nothing less than a 17 horse for the 44 . I have been there done that type of thing horse power wise . i would rather have to much horse power than not enough . I used to run a 48 fixed deck with a 14 horse years ago and man this was a dog compaired to the next 48 i bought with a 17 horse

10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Forget the belt drive. I have a belt and a hydro. Guess which one gets used?? Look at other brands. If your Lesco has a mechanic I would buy one from there. Really good mowers at an unbeatable price.